[comp.sys.apple2] 5.0.2 Finder Bugs

jason@madnix.UUCP (Jason Blochowiak) (04/06/90)

In article <190@mstr.hgc.edu> mill7761@sa1.hgc.edu.UUCP (jeff miller) writes:
>In article <1190@madnix.UUCP> jason@madnix.UUCP (Jason Blochowiak) writes:
>> [Deleted part describing how to invoke the bug]
>>	Why this happens: The colon (':') is used to separate entries in a
>>pathname. So, ":RAM5:dir:file" describes the file "file" in the folder "dir"
>>on the volume ":RAM5", and ":RAM5:file" describes the file "file" on the
>>volume ":RAM5".

>The name of a volume can not begin with a colon.
>Otherwise it is the name of a folder.  Perhaps this is the problem.

	Actually, a colon (':') cannot be part of a GS/OS filename, anywhere.
However, it can be used to separate folder names in a pathname, and is used
to begin a fully specified pathname. So ":RAM5" is the pathname that indicates
only the volume "RAM5". The colon isn't part of the name of the volume, but
it _is_ part of the pathname. The only times that full pathnames don't start
with a colon are 1) When you use one of the number prefixes (as in
"1:Something:Else"), or 2) When specifying a device name (as in ".MODEM").
You can use a partial pathname (as in "Something:Else"), but that simply
implies prefix 0 (so "Something:Else" is equivilent to "0:Something:Else").

	I just realized that, in my original post, I claimed that ":RAM5"
was a volume name... Whoops. Well, "RAM5" is the volume name that I meant to
mention. Reading back over the last 'graph, it seems like it's a moderately
decent explanation of the separator stuff, so I'll just leave it...

	Btw, that was just mis-explanation on my part (claiming that ":RAM5"
was the volume name) - the problem, as originally described, does exist, and
has nothing to do with the volume name.

	Seeing as I discovered this while attempting to copy a file on the
same volume (instead of moving it) - does anyone know how to copy a file on
the same volume without 1) Duplicating the file, 2) Moving the original
file, and 3) Renaming the duplicate? I tried holding down the option key,
but that didn't do what I wanted...

--
                      Jason Blochowiak - jason@madnix.UUCP
or, try:         astroatc!nicmad!madnix!jason@spool.cs.wisc.edu

rankins@argentina.crd.ge.com (raymond r rankins) (04/10/90)

In article <1239@madnix.UUCP> jason@madnix.UUCP (Jason Blochowiak) writes:
>	Seeing as I discovered this while attempting to copy a file on the
>same volume (instead of moving it) - does anyone know how to copy a file on
>the same volume without 1) Duplicating the file, 2) Moving the original
>file, and 3) Renaming the duplicate? I tried holding down the option key,
>but that didn't do what I wanted...

On the other hand, how does one "move" a file from one volume to another
without having to copy it and then delete it from the original volume?

Ray

--
Ray Rankins          |(518) 387-7340 | INTERNET: rankins@argentina.crd.ge.com
2 Moonglow Rd.       |(518) 583-3320 | COMPUSERVE: 71131,3236

wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (04/10/90)

In article <6666@crdgw1.crd.ge.com> rankins@argentina.crd.ge.com (raymond r rankins) writes:

> In article <1239@madnix.UUCP> jason@madnix.UUCP (Jason Blochowiak) writes:
> >	Seeing as I discovered this while attempting to copy a file on the
> >same volume (instead of moving it) - does anyone know how to copy a file on
> >the same volume without 1) Duplicating the file, 2) Moving the original
> >file, and 3) Renaming the duplicate? I tried holding down the option key,
> >but that didn't do what I wanted...

There doesn't appear to be any method to do this.  While you tried the obvious
(Mac) method, the documentation for the Finder specifies the same process
you described.

> On the other hand, how does one "move" a file from one volume to another
> without having to copy it and then delete it from the original volume?

Once again, sorry, but you can't.  This isn't possible on the Macintosh, from
which the GS Finder is derived.  Human Interfaces probably decided that
destructive moves would both be confusing to some naive users and could be
dangerous.... this way you're always in control of creation and deletion of
files (except for all those annoying Finder files :-).

-- More rationalization from
--
Scott Lindsey     | I dig iguana in their outer space duds
Claris Corp.      |    saying, "Aren't you glad we only eat bugs?"

In article <WOMBAT.90Apr9145740@claris.com> wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) writes:
>which the GS Finder is derived.  Human Interfaces probably decided that
>destructive moves would both be confusing to some naive users and could be
>dangerous.... this way you're always in control of creation and deletion of
>files (except for all those annoying Finder files :-).

I've always been supportive of standard interfaces and interface
guidelines, but it's this type of thinking that drives advanced users
away from the standard interface to something less combersome.  If
certain things could only be done (like moving a file) by requiring
pressing open-apple & option while selecting the item with the mouse,
most naive users wouldn't even know about this feature.

Ray