[comp.sys.apple2] Looking for MEMTEST for //gs

greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu (Michael J Pender) (04/08/90)

In article <22831@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> jdc@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Jeff Capehart) writes:
>I have a //gs that has 256k onboard and uses a 1 meg card to expand the
>memory to 1.25 MB.  The card takes 4 banks of 8 chips at 256k x 1bit 100ns.
>I recently expanded from 256k on the card to a full meg and have been
>having some problems.  What I need to do is test the RAM and find out
>which chip is bad.

I don't know in general, but my laser is supposedly apple standard, and I
just type C50AG from the monitor and it does a chip by chip check of memory.

---
Michael J Pender Jr  Box 1942 c/o W.P.I.   W.O.S. is not dead.
greyelf@wpi.bitnet   100 Institute Rd.     ...its time to get started,
greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu  Worcester, Ma 01609   there is much to be done.
If my next computer isn't a IIgs, it won't be an apple... Me.

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (04/08/90)

greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu (Michael J Pender) writes:

>I don't know in general, but my laser is supposedly apple standard, and I
>just type C50AG from the monitor and it does a chip by chip check of memory.

There is more than one Apple standard for memory. He was referring to the
//gs memory slot, which has no relationship the the slot 5 'slinky' card
you type C50AG to check. AE's RamFactor (which I have) also uses this entry
point but I didn't know it was documented -- that is, an Apple sanctioned
entry point.

AE makes a RAM tester for their GS-ram cards -- these use the //gs memory
slot so the tester will work. If the memory card in question was from AE
then their software will show exactly which chip is bad.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

skann@gnh-applesauce.cts.com (Steve Kann) (04/10/90)

        Well, another alternative for testing GS memory cards would be to use
the Memory tester shipped with all current versions of AWGS.. The only problem
is in that this handy little util is probably a copyrighted program, and cannot
be distributed.. oh well.
Proline:skann@gnh-applesauce      <--- Preferred
America online: NYSteve
CI$:70265,1141
                                                 ************************
UUCP: !crash!pnet01!gnh-applesauce!skann           This is just my opinion!
INET: skann@gnh-applesauce.cts.com               ************************
ARPA: crash!pnet01!gnh-applesauce!skann@nosc.mil    "Don't blame me!"

 * Sent by AppleSauce at Sun,  8 Apr 90 23:14:09

wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (04/11/90)

In article <9004092323.AA01360@apple.com> skann@gnh-applesauce.cts.com (Steve Kann) writes:

	   Well, another alternative for testing GS memory cards would be to use
> the Memory tester shipped with all current versions of AWGS.. The only problem
> is in that this handy little util is probably a copyrighted program, and cannot
> be distributed.. oh well.

And it's a generic tester that tells you a memory address for bad memory;
since it has no specifics for individual cards, it'll be very hard to figure
out which particular chip is bad.  Claris' tester was written with the goal
of detecting any bad memory on an expansion card... after that you have to
go to a dealer or someone who can deal specifically with your type of card.

One last note: Claris' tester tests from bank 2 upward.  Banks 0 and 1 are
on the motherboard.  This means that on a ROM 3 machine, it'll test some of
the memory on the motherboard.  I assume that the built-in ROM test on a ROM 3
checks all 1.125Mb but I couldn't say for sure.

--
Scott Lindsey     | I dig iguana in their outer space duds
Claris Corp.      |    saying, "Aren't you glad we only eat bugs?"