[comp.sys.apple2] FTP Sites Containing Apple ][GS & A

aw1q+@andrew.cmu.edu (Andrew William Weller) (04/11/90)

>>This has probably been asked before, but does anyone out there know
>>of any FTP sites which contain Apple ][GS stuff, or more generally
>>Apple ][ stuff???

>more specifically, in my case, I'd love to know if there is an FTP
>site out there which has everything ever posted to c.b.a2 in the last
>[n] days/weeks/months/years???
>

>--rubio  (rubio-1@uiuc.edu)

There is an FTP site, brownvm.brown.edu, which should contain almost all
of the programs, with some exceptions, posted to comp.binaries.apple2
since, as of this writing, about mid-to-late 1987. (Technically, this
contains all of the programs posted to the apple2-l list since about
mid-to-late 1987. However, since virtually all programs from
comp.binaries.apple2 are transferred to the apple2-l list and vice
versa, this should contain almost all of the files posted there as well.)

Brownvm.brown.edu is also, besides being a FTP site, what is known as a
Listserv. Listservs are a feature of BITNET, not the Internet or USENET;
a Listserv is, on the most basic level, a computer which processes
commands sent to it via electronic mail and which sends the results of
the commands to you at your electronic mail address. The address of the
Listserv at BROWNVM is listserv@brownvm.BITNET. The Listserv at BROWNVM
contains all of the files from the apple2-l list with the exception of
games programs; the games are stored at listserv@utarlvm1.BITNET. Send
the following one-line message to listserv@brownvm.BITNET:

HELP

and you will obtain a list of commands that can be used with Listservs.

Each of the files under a given list, such as the apple2-l list, at
BROWNVM and UTARLVM1 are given an individual identification number,
which you must use to refer to them when you want to download them from
the Listserv. If you choose to use brownvm.brown.edu as an FTP site, you
will also need to know these numbers, since files are stored with these
numbers as part of their filenames. To get a list of such numbers, send
the following one-line message to both listserv@brownvm.BITNET and
listserv@utarlvm1.BITNET:

INDEX APPLE2-L

You will get back a file from each Listserv giving the name of each post
in the archive and its corresponding number. It will look a little
funny, since the Listserv will send it to you in something known as
L-Punch format; yet you can still work with it.

To download one or more files to your account, do the following:

(1) Using FTP (BROWNVM only)

     (a) FTP to brownvm.brown.edu.
     (b) When you become connected to brownvm.brown.edu, it will first
request your userid and password. Enter "anonymous" as your userid and
your Internet electronic mail address as your password (i.e.
"aw1q@andrew.cmu.edu".)
     (c) At the ftp prompt, enter "cd listserv.193". This will place you
in the directory in which the archived files are contained.
     (d) To transfer a given file to your current working directory at
your site, enter "get apple2-l.<number>" at the ftp prompt. For example,
if the file's number is 87-00000, you would enter "get
apple2-l.87-00000".
     (e) When you are finished, enter the "bye" command to quit.

(2) Using a Listserv

     (a) Send to the appropriate Listserv a mail message containing the
following commands, one per line:

GET APPLE2-L <number1>
GET APPLE2-L <number2>
. . .
GET APPLE2-L <numbern>

Where <number1> to <numbern> are the numbers of the files you wish to
get. For example:

GET APPLE2-L 87-00000
GET APPLE2-L 87-00001
GET APPLE2-L 87-00002

will get 87-00000, 87-00001, and 87-00002 for you.

     (b) In a rather short time, usually an hour or two or less (it
depends upon the amount of traffic on BITNET and the number of requests
currently being made of the Listserv), you will get back as many mail
messages as the number of files you have requested, with each message
containing one of those files, plus an additional message which
summarizes the resources used by your request. You will have to be
careful not to exceed the capacity of your account, since the file list
provided via INDEX APPLE2-L does not give an entirely accurate way to
determine the size of any given file.

I believe that's a sufficient enough explanation. However, if you have
any questions about what I just wrote, send me a message, and I'll try
to help you (if I can).

Yours truly,

 _ _ _ _
|_|_|_|_|  Andrew Weller
|_|_|_|_|  a student at Carnegie Mellon University
|_|_|_|_|
|_|_|_|_|  DARPA Internet: aw1q+@andrew.cmu.edu
|_|_|_|_|  BITNET: aw1q+%andrew.cmu.edu@CMCCVB
|_|_|_|_|  UUCP: (forthcoming)
|_|_|_|_|
|_|_|_|_|  "Make things as simple as they need to be, but
|_|_|_|_|  no simpler."
|_|_|_|_|       - Albert Einstein.
|_|_|_|_|

STANDARD DISCLAIMER: My opinions are mine, alone.
Or at least that's what I'm told.

m.tiernan@pro-angmar.UUCP (Michael Tiernan) (04/12/90)

Thank you Mr Weller for taking the time to enlighten some of us the "unwashed"
or more specifically "unlistserved" for your explaination of the list server
process.  Very nice.

Thank you.

<< MCT >>

GEnie       : M.Tiernan
AppleLinkPE : M Tiernan or BCS Mike
Internet    : pro-angmar!m.tiernan@alphalpha.com
UUCP        : ...!uunet!alphalpha!pro-angmar!m.tiernan

"And the sweating of their souls can't wash the blood from off their hands."
                                                                  - Phil Ochs