[comp.sys.apple2] more quarter track

tm@polari.UUCP (Toshi Morita) (04/12/90)

kadicky writes:

>Clearly, this is not the most accurate of positionings (if the magnets
>do not put out exactly the same amount of power, then the head will be
>pulled more to one side then the other...), so you probably wouldn't
>want to trust various disk drives to seek properly to this position.
>However, since writing doesn't seem to affect data 3/4 of a track away,
>it's conceptually possible to format a disk using 3/4 track spacing
>(giving 140/3 = 46 tracks == 44K extra).  No one that I know of has
>ever tried doing this...mostly, I assume, because the 1/4 track position
>is not all that accurate...

Actually, my brother (Aki Morita) and I have tried patching ProDOS to run
three-quarter tracks. It didn't work very well because we seemed to have
problems getting quarter-tracking to work well -  it's nontrivial to write
some routines that will get the #^#*$ head nearly perfectly between two
phases. ProDOS would complain a lot (click, click...BRRRRT...) so we
abandoned the project.

If anyone else wants to try something like this I'd like to offer a
suggestion:

Don't try to move to the half-track in one continuous motion. If you
try to do this the inertia of the head will carry it past the half-track
and you will wind up with something like a eighth track or a three-eighth
track, depending on whether you're seeking from a higher track or a lower
tracks. Move to the closer full-phase, then let the head settle for a bit
then go for the half-track

Toshi Morita
..!uunet!microsoft!uw-beaver!sumax!polari!tm
.