[comp.sys.apple2] Apple ][GS System Disk!!

nicholaA@batman.moravian.EDU (Andy Nicholas) (04/07/90)

In article <90096.110004SAB121@psuvm.psu.edu>, SAB121@psuvm.psu.edu writes:

> Also, there is no way to Shrink them until Andy gets GS/ShrinkIt (how long,
> out of curiosity?) because they use the new resource forks.

"soon" is as much as I'm willing to committ to.  as the college semester
gets further and further along, things get more and more frantic around
here.  As it stands, I wrote the memory routines for the packer 2 nights ago,
but haven't gotten to test them yet.  I need to do the unpacker's memory
routines and then i'll be almost done except for the decompress support.

andy

--

Yeah!

samt@pro-europa.cts.com (Sam Theis) (04/08/90)

>Well, first of all, that is a gray area in the law. Only authorized Apple
>dealers are allowed to give out system 5.0.2, and it is not allowed to upload
>them to an informaqtion service (Note to Apple: Would this break the rules?).
>Also, there is no way to Shrink them until Andy gets GS/ShrinkIt (how long,
>out of curiosity?) because they use the new resource forks.

While several files on the GSOS System Disk do contain "forked files" with
resources that cannot be packed until ShrinkIt! GS, there is not any problem
when the whole disk is packed.  The current System Disk is being distributed
on the major online services using files created by ShrinkIt 2.1 using the
whole disk packing option.

UUCP: crash!pro-europa!samt
ARPA: crash!pro-europa!samt@nosc.mil
INET: samt@pro-europa.cts.com

awillis@pro-angmar.UUCP (Albert Willis) (04/08/90)

Actually, the current version of ShrinkIt can be used to pack the 5.0.2 disks.
That is how they are made downloadable on America Online and GEnie.

They can be distributed electronically, but the services needs a license from
Apple in order to do it.

User groups (such as The Boston Computer Society) are licensed to distribute
the system disks to their members.

Dealers are supposed to copy the disks for free, but a lot of them don't. I
would suggest buying the package from a dealer (or mail order), since a lot of
things have happened with the system software; manuals might help quite a bit.

Albert Willis
INET:  pro-angmar!awillis@alphalpha.com          | America Online: BCS Al
UUCP:..!uunet!alphalpha!pro-angmar!awillis       | GEnie: A.Willis

tomd@pro-europa.cts.com (Tom Dolezal) (04/09/90)

>Well, first of all, that is a gray area in the law. Only authorized Apple
>dealers are allowed to give out system 5.0.2, and it is not allowed to upload
>them to an informaqtion service (Note to Apple: Would this break the rules?).
>Also, there is no way to Shrink them until Andy gets GS/ShrinkIt (how long,
>out of curiosity?) because they use the new resource forks.

Well.... the law really has nothing to do with it.  Apple has placed
restrictions on System Disk duplication, but a copyright is a copyright
regardless.

Apple also licenses user groups to distribute the system disks (for GS/OS and
ProDos-8) either for a fee or not.

ShrinkIt (2.1, 3.0, etc) will shrink the system disks just fine.  When
shrinking full disks, resource forks are not a problem - only when attempting
to shrink individual files (like CDEVs and so on) will ShrinkIt not work.
Even then, though, you could place the files in question on a 3.5" floppy and
then shrink that entire disk.

UUCP: crash!pro-europa!tomd
ARPA: crash!pro-europa!tomd@nosc.mil
INET: tomd@pro-europa.cts.com

cyliao@eng.umd.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) (04/09/90)

>ShrinkIt (2.1, 3.0, etc) will shrink the system disks just fine.  When
>shrinking full disks, resource forks are not a problem - only when attempting
>to shrink individual files (like CDEVs and so on) will ShrinkIt not work.
>Even then, though, you could place the files in question on a 3.5" floppy and
>then shrink that entire disk.

After all these discussions, it seems there's no problem to send a copy of
//gs system disk to another owner of Apple // computer. Therefore, can any one
send me a copy of latest system disk? we only got v1.3. (AAARRRGGGHHHH...)

--
cyliao@wam.umd.edu     		o NeXT :  I put main frame power on two chips.
      @epsl.umd.edu		o people: We put main flame power on two guys.

dscott@pro-tcc.cts.com (David Scott) (04/10/90)

Andy,
        I've been impressed with your software for some time now; but it must
really be a trip to juggle college demands and still get out the quality code
we users "know and love."
        As an end user, I'm especially impressed with your ease of navigation
thru various disks and sub-directories.
        I asked earlier tonite where Shrinkit/GS (or will it be called
GS/Shrinkit?) is.  Having seen that it's still in development, I have to add
my vote to those asking for it.  (But keep the long view: please don't let our
clamboring for it deterr you from keeping the grades up.  It'll stand you in
good stead in the future.  Best of luck)

Dave Scott
|                                                                              || Proline:dscott@pro-tcc                                                       || UUCP   : crash!pro-tcc!dscott                                                || Arpanet: crash!pro-tcc!dscott@nosc.mil                                       || Internet: dscott@pro-tcc.cts.com                                             ||                                                                              ||______________________________

________________________________________________|

dlee@janus.Berkeley.EDU (Damon Lee) (04/13/90)

In article <90096.110004SAB121@psuvm.psu.edu> SAB121@psuvm.psu.edu writes:

		. . . skipping some lines. . .

>The good news in, go to your local Apple dealer, take in your original disks
>and a couple of blanks, and ask them for system 5.0.2 for the GS. They are
>authorized to copy it for you FREE OF CHARGE. If they give you any run around,
>tell them they are full of s*** and that they had better get their act together
>Then post here again. Their is an Apple press release number floating around
>that says specifically that you can get it. If you want the manuals, however
>you must pay thirty or fourty dollars...
>Salvatore A. Buttice                 Before ^^^^^\_<sab121@psuvm.psu.edu>
>Box 488                              May 1  _____/ <SAB121@PSUVM.BITNET>
>Espyville, PA 16424                  After May 1--><sir-alan!salb@uunet.UU.NET>

I went to the Computer Center of Hayward, CA who claim to be authorized
Apple dealers to ask to copy system 5.0.2.  They then told me that I had
to already have system 5 to get the upgrade to 5.0.2.  I argued with them
for another 15 minutes, but they claim that this is the official policy
from Apple.  So I'm still looking for system 5.  Is there anyone at Apple
(or anywhere else) I should bitch to about them?

Very disgusted,

Damon
dlee@janus

asd@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) (04/13/90)

In article <35468@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> dlee@janus.Berkeley.EDU (Damon Lee) writes:

>I went to the Computer Center of Hayward, CA who claim to be authorized
>Apple dealers to ask to copy system 5.0.2.  They then told me that I had
>to already have system 5 to get the upgrade to 5.0.2.  I argued with them
>for another 15 minutes, but they claim that this is the official policy
>from Apple.  So I'm still looking for system 5.  Is there anyone at Apple
>(or anywhere else) I should bitch to about them?

>Very disgusted,

Hey, likewise here!  I went to the local authorized Moron's-R-Us
Computerland and they gave me this same shit, and also said further that
they USED to give out free copies, but they got in trouble for doing
that, by apparently some dude at Apple!  How in the hell could they get
in trouble when the policy states that it's fine and dandy to give them
out free, unless of course, that's just the press policy and not the
official doctrine (the conspiracy theory, ya know, still a bit
implausible tho).  I eventually ended up getting a copy off of a friend.

Not only digusted, but pretty damn pissed off.  Just one more brick in
the wall, so to speak, shoving me away from Apple.

-k