[comp.sys.apple2] Transwarp question

wogg0743@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (04/12/90)

I have a Transwarp GS which says version 8S, revision 1.5x.  The quartz
chip says 25 on it (the speed times four, I've heard).  That would make
the processor speed 6 mhz and a smidgeon.  Is this right, or do I not have
the most recent version?

bg

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (04/14/90)

In article <139800005@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> wogg0743@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>I have a Transwarp GS which says version 8S, revision 1.5x.  The quartz
>chip says 25 on it (the speed times four, I've heard).  That would make
>the processor speed 6 mhz and a smidgeon.  Is this right, or do I not have
>the most recent version?

Yes, the processor speed is the oscillator speed (MHz) divided by four.
Yours runs at 6.25MHz, which is true of most of the TWGSes shipped so
far as I have been able to determine.  Some run faster, but the supply
of faster CPU chips was too limited to install them in all TWGSes.  You
can obtain a faster oscillator (from AE) and CPU (from WDC), but reports
are that it is unlikely you'll be able to get reliable operation above
9MHz, and for higher speeds you'd need to replace the cache RAM on the
TWGS with faster versions.  While the difference between 2.8MHz and
6.25MHz is quite dramatic, the step from 6.25MHz to 9MHz is not as
significant, especially if it risks flaky operation.