[comp.sys.apple2] A/D Converter on Ensoniq chip?

dlee@janus.Berkeley.EDU (Damon Lee) (04/13/90)

I see references every now and then about an A/D converter in the GS,
usually on the Ensoniq chip.  Is this just a wild fantasy or is there
a A/D converter.  I know that you can use the game port as a very
simple ADC.

Just wondering,

Damon
dlee@janus

lmb7421@ultb.isc.rit.edu (Les Barstow: Phoenix) (04/14/90)

In article <35473@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> dlee@janus.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Damon Lee) writes:

>I see references every now and then about an A/D converter in the GS,
>usually on the Ensoniq chip.  Is this just a wild fantasy or is there
>a A/D converter.  I know that you can use the game port as a very
>simple ADC.

Yes, it's true...There is a series of 8 pins near the Q chip which
correspond to raw Q-chip pins...some are used for selecting the output
channel, some are for the output itself, and one is for A/D input...
i don't have the technical details right here... when I get back to my
room I will type in the schematic for a simple A/D converter circuit to
hook into the pins... (It's in the Apple][gs Technical Reference (not
the one from Apple)...

--
Les Barstow      | Send me mail on what you'd like to see in a BBS program
SunSinger        | and/or a terminal emulation program.

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (04/14/90)

In article <35473@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> dlee@janus.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Damon Lee) writes:
>I see references every now and then about an A/D converter in the GS,
>usually on the Ensoniq chip.  Is this just a wild fantasy or is there
>a A/D converter.

Sure there is, but it operates only at audio frequencies, and I
think it's single-channel.
MDIdeas Supersonic digitizer provides a convenient interface to it.