[comp.sys.apple2] Spiral-tracking

gt0t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Gregory Ross Thompson) (04/13/90)

  tm@polari.UUCP (Toshi Morita) writes:
> If I remember correctly, Br0derbund's spiral tracking (a la Choplifter) used
> adjacent half-tracks in concentric half-circles to achieve one of the most
> difficult copy-protechtion schemes ever, (not quarter tracks).

  The spiral tracking protection method was called Spiradisk, and
invented by a guy named Mark Duchaineau.  It loaded about 20 times
faster than DOS 3.3 did.  There were two main problems with it.  The
first was that it took up about half of the disk.  The other was that
the disks often had to be rebooted once or twice before the program
would load.  It was first used on some of Sierra On-Line's software.

> Nice to see all the slick programmers (kadickey, nicholas) on Usenet!

  Yeah, it sure is...

> Toshi Morita
> ..!uunet!microsoft!uw-beaver!sumax!polari!tm

		-Greg T.

fadden@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Andy McFadden) (04/15/90)

In article <oa9FU=i00WB4MCQldj@andrew.cmu.edu> gt0t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Gregory Ross Thompson) writes:

>  tm@polari.UUCP (Toshi Morita) writes:
>> If I remember correctly, Br0derbund's spiral tracking (a la Choplifter) used
>> adjacent half-tracks in concentric half-circles to achieve one of the most
>> difficult copy-protechtion schemes ever, (not quarter tracks).

Broderbund has always had some of the best copy protection.  Electronic Arts
is up there, but they tended to use the same scheme over and over again.

>  The spiral tracking protection method was called Spiradisk, and
>invented by a guy named Mark Duchaineau.  It loaded about 20 times
>faster than DOS 3.3 did.  There were two main problems with it.  The
>first was that it took up about half of the disk.  The other was that
>the disks often had to be rebooted once or twice before the program
>would load.  It was first used on some of Sierra On-Line's software.

...or sometimes they wouldn't work at all.  Frogger and Maze Consruction Set
used this scheme, which was also pretty hard to boot-trace.  A guy I know
(or knew; haven't heard from him in years) bought Frogger but it wouldn't work
on his disk drive (apparently some disk drives don't do quarter-tracking very
well).  After a small investment of time, I managed to pry it loose of the
spiradisk stuff.

That scheme has some interesting components...  I tried to use a memory-
snapshot card on it, which worked just fine unless something in the machine
changed.  Apparently it was scanning ROM and the peripheral slots, so that
if it suddenly found itself running on a machine with a different
configuration, it would flush itself and halt.

At any rate, it was conceivably possible to copy the disk if (a) you used
the synchronized tracks option, and (b) your drive head read a wide section
of the disk.  Theory was that it would read the quarter tracks on either
side of the drive head, so that you could essentially copy two tracks at
a time.  If you carefully synchronized and interpreted the disk data, it
would work.

Not very well, but...

--
fadden@cory.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)