[comp.sys.apple2] Zip Technology's for the APPLE IIe

sb@pro-generic.cts.com (Stephen Brown) (05/02/90)

When referring to the Rocket Chip

>>Anyway, it speeds up the // line (not GS) but running a 128 byte cache and

This is incorrect. I believe that the Rocket chip has an 8 K cache.

>Only 128 bytes? Thats incredibly small.  The "classic" Transwarp card
caches the entire 128K RAM plus it caches the 12K of ROM

If you check A+ April 89, page 24, you'll see a dicussion of the Transwarp,
the Zipchip-4, and the Rocketchip-5.  You'll see that it has 16K of cache
(except I beleve that its actually 8kx16 because 8 bits are used for the cache
tag) that speeds up the first 1.6 meg of RAM.

You'll also see that in all A+'s tests (sorting a 54K AW file, counting 1000
for:next's), the Rocketchip was as good as or BETTER than the Zipchip. Indeed,
it WAS a superior product.

>In my opinion, the AE TransWarp is better than any CPU socket accelerator
>because it allows you total freedom in selecting processor chips. For

Besides the higher power consumption, a TW (or TWII) uses a precious slot. At
any rate, your "total freedom in selecting processor chips" may be important
to you, but it is completely unimportant for 99% of Apple II users, as a 65C02
is all they will EVER need.  Not all of us play with Merlin/16 on an 8-bit
Apple...

BTW: Note that the TWII used not a chip from Zip, but a chip from Rocket. If
AE (which usually designs their own stuff) had enough confidence in Rocket's
design, it says something quite good about the product.  Too bad a legal
decision has prevented AE from selling the TWII, and Rocket from selling their
Zip killer.

>You cannot use the 16 bit chip with the Zip or Rocket
>Chips.

As I said, except for a VERY few... who cares? Is this relevent for an
AppleWorks, Publish-It, ProTERM, educational software, user?

Nuff said.

>Brian Willoughby

UUCP: crash!pro-generic!sb
ARPA: crash!pro-generic!sb@nosc.mil