[comp.sys.apple2] 3.5" Drive Pricing

V2071A@VM.TEMPLE.EDU ("George A. Piotrowski Jr") (05/02/90)

On 23 Apr 90 00:53:23 GMT you said:
>In article <9004212351.AA12178@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu>,
> alfter@MRCNEXT.CSO.UIUC.EDU (Scott Alfter) writes:
>> mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com (Michael J. Quinn) has in his .sig:
>> ------------------------------------start------------------------------------
>> |    |  |  920  Cumberland Road  |  Why on God's green EARTH is an \  |  /  |
>> |   /   /  Chattanooga TN 37419  |  Apple 3.5" drive $419 and an    \ | /   |
>> |  /    \______________          |  IBM 3.5" is less than $100?!?!?! \ /    |
>> -------------------------------------end-------------------------------------
>>
>> I've found through personal experience that the IBM drives are cheap--in more
>> ways than one. :-) The Apple drives are solidly built, and when you stick a
>> disk into them part of the way, the drive grabs it and sucks it in the rest
>of
>> the way.
>
>Also remember that Apple Drives (3.5 and Unidisk) can spin the disk a different
>speed.  This allows the Apple disks to hold 800K instead of 720K by allowing
>more sectors on the outer tracks but slowing the disk rotation speed.  IBM
>drives don't have the hardware for variable speeds.
>
>--
>Joel Sumner                     GENIE:JOEL.SUMNER     These opinions are
>q4kx@cornella.ccs.cornell.edu   q4kx@cornella         warranted for 90 days or
>q4kx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu       q4kx@crnlvax5         60,000 miles.  Whichever
>....................................................  comes first.
>Never test for an error condition that you can't handle.

Joel,

      Central Point Software sells (at least sold) a card for IBM and
clones that is called the CPS Drive Option Board.  You plug this card in your
computer, connect your drive cable from you interface card to this card, and
run the cable from the CPS board to your 3.5" drive.  This card along with
the included software lets you take directories of Mac disks and copy from and
to Mac disks.  I have this card installed in a Zenith PC at my Computer Center
and it works fine.

So it must be possible to use IBM drives on Apples & Macs with
the right controller (I would think).

Comments anyone?????

George A. Piotrowski, Coordinator      Bitnet: V2071A@TEMPLEVM
Educational Computing Center         Internet: v2071a@vm.temple.edu
Temple University                       Genie: G.PIOTROWSKI
Philadelphia, PA 19122             Compu$erve: 74046,1304
(215) 787-6228              Apple Supportools: Technical Coordinator

The opinions expressed are my own and do not have anything to do with
Temple University. (well, not much)
Acknowledge-To: <V2071A@VM.TEMPLE.EDU>

q4kx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Joel Sumner) (05/03/90)

In article <9005020357.AA13529@apple.com>, V2071A@VM.TEMPLE.EDU ("George A. Piotrowski Jr") writes:

>>Remember that Apple Drives (3.5 and Unidisk) can spin the disk at different
>>speeds.  This allows the Apple disks to hold 800K instead of 720K by allowing
>>more sectors on the outer tracks but slowing the disk rotation speed.  IBM
>>drives don't have the hardware for variable speeds.
>>

>       Central Point Software sells (at least sold) a card for IBM and
> clones that is called the CPS Drive Option Board.  You plug this card in your
> computer, connect your drive cable from you interface card to this card, and
> run the cable from the CPS board to your 3.5" drive.  This card along with
> the included software lets you take directories of Mac disks and copy from and
> to Mac disks.  I have this card installed in a Zenith PC at my Computer Center
> and it works fine.

Sure.  By adding the CPS Drive Option board, you are adding the necessary
hardware to tell the drive to do multiple speeds to read HFS/ProDOS disks.  I
just doubt that  the IBM drives ALONE can do the multiple speeds.