[comp.sys.apple2] Development systems on the Mac & the IIgs

jason@madnix.UUCP (Jason Blochowiak) (05/04/90)

In article <1990Apr28.110018.28728@laguna.ccsf.caltech.edu> toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:
> [Some stuff I agree with, and some stuff I don't agree with]
>A Mac gives me the function I need but treats me like an idiot and forces me
>to buy big development systems to write my own programs (Hypercard does NOT
>qualify).

	I dunno, I picked up Think C v4.0 for ~$150, which is, if I recall
correctly, slightly less than I paid for APW and APW C. It has a class library
that allows me to ignore a large part of the mess that is the Mac OS & toolbox,
built in Make facility (of sorts), and a fairly nice inline assembler.

	I also got MPW, including the IIgs cross development stuff, and that
cost a serious chunk of change (~$1000). Then again, it absolutely toasts
anything available for the IIgs. I presume that this is what you were
complaining about.

	There are also some other C compilers, as well as Pascal compilers,
including a ShareWare C compiler, for fairly cheap. There are also other
languages, including Fortran, Forth, ADA, C++, and so on...

	I realize that this isn't comp.sys.mac, so I won't go on; my point is
that it isn't necessary to spent huge amounts of money in order to do
development on the Mac.

--
                      Jason Blochowiak - jason@madnix.UUCP
or, try:         astroatc!nicmad!madnix!jason@spool.cs.wisc.edu