[comp.sys.apple2] Backing up Dungeon Master

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (05/02/90)

In article <May.1.20.36.34.1990.12414@elbereth.rutgers.edu> joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) writes:
>... When the patches are applied, the copy boots and runs,
>but IT KNOWS ITS A COPY!

Some software publishers vary the copy protection slightly from time
to time, to make cracking by "recipe" unlikely to succeed.  Xenocide
was like that, although I cracked mine anyway.  I would like to hear
of a successful crack of Dungeon Master.

>A previous game by FTL software, SUNDOG (for the older Apple IIs) was
>also a great, and very complex game and had the most annoying copy
>protection.

Worse than that, the original disks wouldn't even work all the time.

>It was kind of funny, but I am not a pirate.  I am a legal owner of
>both games and I would like to make a backup of Dungeon Master.

Me, too.  Maybe this sort of nonsense is helping kill sales to IIGS
owners, since we tend to have hard disks and would much prefer to
run our software from them instead of the 3.5" drive.

thei@pro-party.cts.com (The Infiltrator) (05/04/90)

Yeah, I <right now...> don't have a hard disk drive, but I was wondering, now
don't get on my back about not posting in the right section, but what do the
ibm games have? Do they have some sort of copy-protection? I know that if
someone out there doesn't have a hard disk on their ibm, they're feeling
pretty lonely. Maybe sometime (if ibm programs don't have copy-protection)
apple will have to make the same transition that ibm did. possibly even start
to have a common feature that allows you <the program doing the process
itself... of course> to copy the program onto your hard disk. I don't know..
it's just a thought.

the infiltrator

--

'Hi, I'm Bart. Who the hell are you?' - bart simpson