[comp.sys.apple2] Mac -> ProDOS -> Mac transfers

johnmac@fawlty.towers.oz (John MacLean) (05/04/90)

I have transferred Macpaint files to a ProDOS disk using both Apple File
Exchange on the Mac, and the AppleShare FST.
Both files under ProDOS have filetype $00 and auxtype $0000.
Under ProDOS, one of these two files had a resource fork attached to it
(I do not know which one).
It contains file info (such as the file name and file type under HFS),
but is not in a standard system 5.0 Resource Manager layout
(ie: no resource map etc).
[These are not "Apple single" or "Apple double" files].

My questions are:
Does anyone know which transfer method produces this resource fork?
What is the internal format of this resource fork?
How can either of these files be taken back to the Mac (using AFE or
the AppleShare FST) without having to use a filetype translator back
on the Mac?

I would much prefer to use the AppleShare FST method, because it means
I do not have to physically go near a Mac. Also, I might have some hope
that it might work with our HFS FST at some time in the future.

Hope someone can help.
John MacLean.
--
This net: johnmac@fawlty.towers.oz.au                   Phone: +61 2 427 2999
That net: uunet!fawlty.towers.oz.au!johnmac             Fax:   +61 2 427 7072

wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (05/05/90)

In article <196@fawlty.towers.oz> johnmac@fawlty.towers.oz (John MacLean) writes:

> I have transferred Macpaint files to a ProDOS disk using both Apple File
> Exchange on the Mac, and the AppleShare FST.
> Both files under ProDOS have filetype $00 and auxtype $0000.
> Under ProDOS, one of these two files had a resource fork attached to it
> (I do not know which one).
> It contains file info (such as the file name and file type under HFS),
> but is not in a standard system 5.0 Resource Manager layout
> (ie: no resource map etc).
> [These are not "Apple single" or "Apple double" files].

> My questions are:
> Does anyone know which transfer method produces this resource fork?
> What is the internal format of this resource fork?
> How can either of these files be taken back to the Mac (using AFE or
> the AppleShare FST) without having to use a filetype translator back
> on the Mac?

If you use AFE to transfer a ProDOS file to HFS, a resource of type 'pdos',
ID 0 will be created in the new file.  The resource is 10 bytes long, but
I'm not sure what all the bytes are: the first two are the file's auxType.
the next two are the file's access bits.  I'm not sure about the rest.
AFE won't transfer any resource fork in either direction.

If you use AppleShare, files are transferred intact (with the possible
exception of files being created sparse on the ProDOS side.  If you don't
know what this means, then it doesn't matter...).  ][ files transferred to
a server retain their file & aux types.  Mac files transferred from a server
to a ][ are typed as 0, aux 0, so if you transfer them back, the Mac type &
creator are lost.  No way around this.

In short, either method will give you round-trip file-typing for ][ files,
but not for Mac files (exception: text files are always text files, but
you will lose the creator).

The only method for preserving Mac type/creator under ProDOS is AppleSingle
or AppleDouble.  AppleDouble is actually suitable for transferring image
files back and forth: if the raw data is in the data fork, it gets put into
a separate file under AppleDouble.  A translator program can work with that
file without bothering the resource and filetype info.  However, there is not
much support for AppleSingle or AppleDouble yet.

--
Scott Lindsey     | I dig iguana in their outer space duds
Claris Corp.      |    saying, "Aren't you glad we only eat bugs?"