[comp.sys.apple2] 40 track ProDos

aj0@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Eric Mulholland) (05/05/90)

In article <9005050429.AA25989@apple.com> KJJY@MARISTB.BITNET ("Robert Rodriguez") writes:
>I tried using Copy II Plus 7.3 to patch ProDOS exactly as described in
>a previous append to the Info-Apple list, searching for the hex string
>CA D0 04 C9 18 92, and changing the 18 to a 40. It found the string OK,
>but after I made the change and ran the Copy II Plus FORMAT utility,
>I tried to catalog the disk and it still showed 280 blocks on the disk,
>instead of 320.

    The patch only changes prodos so it will read the extra blocks and
not cop out with an i/o error.  The reason copy2+ only formated a 280
block disk is simple, that's what it was designed to do.  The format code
is NOT part of prodos, it's part of the application.  You'll either have
to patch copy2+ or get a utility that can formet 40 track disks.  If you
have prosel, use cat doctor or utilities (depending on 8 or 16 version).
The format code in there asks you how many tracks you want formated.
Remember, an unmodified prodos will always give an i/o error when it tries
to reference a high block number.  This INCLUDES saving a file to an
almost full disk!
    For those of you just now getting the search string, the above might
be a little hard to find, try CA D0 04 C9 18 90 02 38 instead.  When you
find it, replace the $18 with a $40.
--
     ____
 Y_,_|[]|   Eric Mulholland