[comp.sys.apple2] Fast 65816

tm@polari.UUCP (Toshi Morita) (05/07/90)

brianw@microsoft.UUCP writes:

>What ARE you talking about? If the CLOCK speed can run at xx Mhz, then it says
>something about all aspects of the IC's timing. Other than having a chip that
>has to slow down for some instructions, please tell me how a chip whose clock
>runs at xx Mhz ISNT a xx Mhz chip...

A chance to relate an interesting story!

About a year ago I called WDC and ordered an 8 Mhz 65816. They shipped me a
65816, but it came with a tiny tech note that stated that the 65816 would run
okay at 4 Mhz but at speeds above 4 Mhz the REP instruction wouldn't function
properly unless 1. the clock cycle was extended out to 250 ns or 2. a NOP
followed every REP.

I'm theorizing that some of the extra hardware on the custom chips on the TWGS
does the aforementioned (i.e. does a compare for the REP opcode when SYNC goes
high and extend clock cycle w/ a flip-flop) since they've been shipping it
(TWGS) for quite a while now.

Also, all the people who complained about the GS being "wimped" so it wouldn't
"compete with the Mac" please think about the following: the GS was introduced
in 1986. WDC still didn't have a "true" 4 Mhz+ 65816 in 1989. How was Apple
supposed to build a "superGS" when WDC didn't have the necessary parts?

mholtz@sactoh0.UUCP (Mark A. Holtz) writes:

>I hate to be saying this, but . . . .
>
>        MY NEXT COMPUTER PURCHASE WILL BE A IBM-PC

Gee, we'll miss you so much. Send us a postcard from comp.sys.ibm.

tm@polari