[comp.sys.apple2] Mac reliability

q4kx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Joel Sumner) (05/05/90)

In article <May.3.01.26.31.1990.15834@topaz.rutgers.edu>,
    dhsieh@topaz.rutgers.edu (David Shea) writes:
> I am both an experienced Apple II user as well as an experienced Mac
> user.  I have deep rooted feelings for both the Apple II and the Mac.
> But speaking from experience, a Macintosh system, if it is set up
> correctly, *never* crashes.  Please restrain from commenting on a
> subject which you obviously have little experience.

Woa. Hold on.  Does rutgers have an amazing lack of Macs on campus or
something?  Here at Cornell, there are 5 people on my floor (out of 40)
with macs (so, say 10% out of 15,000 have Macs) plus the 200 or so in
the computer centers.  I never go a day without hearing someone talking
about how they just lost their paper, project, lab report, etc. when the mac
that they were working on crashed.  I myself lost a 15 hour lab report 3 hours
before it was do while cleaning up some minor things.  If you think the Mac
is crashproof, you are certainly insane!

Granted, Mac applications are probably more stable than GS/OS applications.  I
hit Ctrl-OA-Reset quite often, but the last time Appleworks crashed on me was
1987!!!  Try that with MS Word, WriteNow, etc...  Not a chance.

--
Joel Sumner                     GENIE:JOEL.SUMNER     These opinions are
q4kx@cornella.ccs.cornell.edu   q4kx@cornella         warranted for 90 days or

dhsieh@topaz.rutgers.edu (David Shea) (05/06/90)

>Woa. Hold on.  Does rutgers have an amazing lack of Macs on campus or
>something?  Here at Cornell, there are 5 people on my floor (out of 40)
>with macs (so, say 10% out of 15,000 have Macs) plus the 200 or so in
>the computer centers.  I never go a day without hearing someone talking
>about how they just lost their paper, project, lab report, etc. when the mac
>that they were working on crashed.

Yes, Rutgers' 300 or more Macs is barely enough and constantly in
demand.  But in general, you should realize that if you have more
Macs, then you're bound to have more problems, crashes, lost
papers,... etc.  On the other hand, our students barely use Apple
II's.  I've never heard from students about Apple II crashes because
most of them don't use Apple II's!

>                                   I myself lost a 15 hour lab report 3 hours
>before it was do while cleaning up some minor things.  If you think the Mac
>is crashproof, you are certainly insane!

You mean you didn't make a backup of a *15 hour* lab report or maybe
even save it periodically?  And why trust a 15 hour lab report to
a Mac if your Appleworks is proven to be reliable?  If you've
understood what I've written, then you should realize that I certainly
didn't think my Mac is crashproof.  I merely stated that if a Mac is
set up *corretly*, then it *never* crashes.  Of course if people start
adding patches such as Init's, Cdev's, Da's, and Rdev's to their OS,
they should know that they're making their system more unstable.

|				|             .....	      |
|   dhsieh@topaz.rutgers.edu	|          ...........	      |
|   hsieh@zodiac.bitnet		|	  .......  o  .	      |
|   DaveShea@AOL		|         ...o...     .	      |
|   76106,3566@CIS		|          ....      .	      |
|				|             .....	      |
*	     Why not have the best of both worlds?	      *
*		   (if you can afford them)		      *
*                              O O			      *
*                              \_/ 			      *

cyliao@eng.umd.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) (05/06/90)

Uh... I don't wanna start flames, but I think this is important to tell.

In article <May.5.17.36.15.1990.17599@topaz.rutgers.edu> dhsieh@topaz.rutgers.edu writes:
>I merely stated that if a Mac is
>set up *corretly*, then it *never* crashes.  Of course if people start
>adding patches such as Init's, Cdev's, Da's, and Rdev's to their OS,
>they should know that they're making their system more unstable.

Well, I think not many people can *correctly* set up their mac to make it
*never* crashes.  The Mac on our campus crashes so frequently, as I work in
one of the computer lab, I asked several times for revise the system set
up.  The result is that the system administrators told me that they've been
trying that for over 2 years, and like one to 3 times of *trying* / semester
to make the *best* set up so these Macs don't crash that frequently. They still
can't understand why it crashes... so our Macs still pretty happy to crash
and give you a bomb on the screen. Ok, maybe you should say that our campus
computer consultant and administrators know nothing about Mac, right?

And yes, if I get enough $$, I'll go for a GS! hope this will soon be real.
--
cyliao@wam.umd.edu     		o NeXT :  I put main frame power on two chips.
      @epsl.umd.edu		o people: We put main flame power on two guys.

q4kx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Joel Sumner) (05/07/90)

In article <May.5.17.36.15.1990.17599@topaz.rutgers.edu>, dhsieh@topaz.rutgers.edu (David Shea) writes:

>>                                   I myself lost a 15 hour lab report 3 hours
>>before it was do while cleaning up some minor things.  If you think the Mac
>>is crashproof, you are certainly insane!
>
> You mean you didn't make a backup of a *15 hour* lab report or maybe
> even save it periodically?  And why trust a 15 hour lab report to
> a Mac if your Appleworks is proven to be reliable?  If you've
> understood what I've written, then you should realize that I certainly
> didn't think my Mac is crashproof.  I merely stated that if a Mac is
> set up *corretly*, then it *never* crashes.  Of course if people start
> adding patches such as Init's, Cdev's, Da's, and Rdev's to their OS,
> they should know that they're making their system more unstable.

Actually, I did make backups of the paper.  Only one problem... HFS ate them.
I didn't write that paper all at one sitting or something.  It isn't even the
crashes on Macs that get me so much, it just seems that MAC disks go bad
very quickly.  On my IIgs (and before that, my //e), In the past 7 years I
have had 5-5.25" disks go bad and zero-3.5" disks go bad.  Yet I have had three
Mac disks go bad since I have been here.  Something is strange.
  As for writing my paper on a mac, I had to, it was an Electrical Eng.
design course that required me to insert graphs in the documents and then
laser print the whole thing.  Trying port everything back and forth would
have been rediculous at best.
  Sure, CDEV's that are improperly written shouldn't crash the system, but if
they 'follow the rules' which Apple seems to deem are so important, that must
mean that Apple engineers feel that programs that follow the rules therefore
won't crash the system.  If they do indeed crash, something is not wrong with
the CDEVs, something is wrong with the system itself.

--
Joel Sumner                     GENIE:JOEL.SUMNER     These opinions are
q4kx@cornella.ccs.cornell.edu   q4kx@cornella         warranted for 90 days or
q4kx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu       q4kx@crnlvax5         60,000 miles.  Whichever
Never test for an error condition that you can't handle.

q4kx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Joel Sumner) (05/07/90)

This message is empty.