[comp.sys.apple2] 40 track ProDos, PC Transporter

KJJY@MARISTB.BITNET ("Robert Rodriguez") (05/05/90)

I tried using Copy II Plus 7.3 to patch ProDOS exactly as described in
a previous append to the Info-Apple list, searching for the hex string
CA D0 04 C9 18 92, and changing the 18 to a 40. It found the string OK,
but after I made the change and ran the Copy II Plus FORMAT utility,
I tried to catalog the disk and it still showed 280 blocks on the disk,
instead of 320.

Also, I just purchased a PC Transporter, and so far I'm very happy with
it. All but one of the MS/DOS programs I've tried runs without a
glitch. The one that failed was IBM's FTTERM product, which allows
a PC/DOS machine to emulate either a VT100, VT220, 3101, or a 3270 with
both XMODEM and IND$FILE file transfer protocols. I can configure it OK,
but when I try to boot it up, it displays the message "Loading
Configuration FIle", and then hangs the system, with the disk drive
spinning. Has anyone tried this program with the PCT and got it to run?
I can run Kermit and Procomm OK, but they don't have full 3270
emulation. I'm using DOS 3.2 with a Datalink 2400 baud modem.

Can the PC Transporter handle Prodos 40-track disks? Also, I found a
small bug in the TRANSFER utility that comes with PCT. It
can read files from the PRODOS /RAM disk, but an error occurs
when you try to catalog hhe RAM drive.

mikeu@pro-magic.cts.com (Mike Ungerman) (05/06/90)

The patch to Prodos for 40 tracks that you mentioned will make the modified
Prodos that you then boot able to read and write to disks up to 40 tracks.  It
will not, however, make any changes to Copy II plus's ability to format.  You
would then have to patch C2P's formatting routines to allow them to format
your disks out to 40 tracks.

Glen Bredon's Cat.Doctor (comes with Prosel) has a built in formatter that
asks you how many tracks you would like your disk formatted to.  You can even
format out to 40 tracks without a modified ProDos, although you will still
have to patch Prodos to use those new tracks once formatted.

I once saw a patch to Filer that allowed it to format a volume to 40 tracks.
Anyone know what that is?

By the way, I recommend not using Copy II Plus on 40 track disks.  Some of its
routines just cannot accomodate larger 5 1/4" floppies, like the disk map,
delete volume, etc.  Again the utility of choice is Cat.doctor or the modified
Filer.
Mike Ungerman                      |Proline:mikeu@pro-magic
Pro-Magic BBS: 407-366-0156        |uucp:crash!pnet01!pro-magic!mikeu
300/1200/2400/9600 Baud 24hrs      |arpa:crash!pnet01!pro-magic!mikeu@nosc.mil
Apple Tree of Central Florida, Inc |Internet:mikeu@pro-magic.cts.com
Orlando, Florida|Voice:407-366-0060|Compuserve:71326,31 Prodigy: JSNP58A

lhaider@pro-sol.cts.com (Lawrence Haider) (05/07/90)

[stuff about the PCT not working with IBM's FTTERM...]

I've got a problem with the PCT downloading files using ProCOMM, TeleMate, or
any other Com program I've tried.  It seems that there is an error generated
whenever there is a disk access, causing XModem or YModem to hang and ZModem
to resend packets about once every 3-5 seconds.  Does anyone know what causes
this?  Is there a fix?  Does anyone give a rip about my problems?  ;)

Thanks to any who care to reply.

lhaider@pro-sol.cts.com