[comp.sys.apple2] Ensoniq

tm@polari.UUCP (Toshi Morita) (05/07/90)

unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:

>In article <11669@netcom.UUCP> lyle@netcom.UUCP (Lyle Fong) writes:
>>The sound on the IIgs is among the BEST in the PC industry, capable of
>playing
>>15 sounds simultaneously with Orchestraic quality.  It is better than most
>>stock Macs, and better than IBM's even with AdLib sound cards on them.
>        Well, you have underestimated it! As far as I've read/been told,
>the GS's sound chip is capable of 31 channels simultaneously, yet through
>"legal" means, 15 is how many you get... As we've all seen though, trickery
>gets you much more than going through the legal means.

I thought everyone and their dog knew this - where have you been for five
years?

The Ensoniq DOC has 32 oscillators. If monophonic sound is bearable then you
can assign all 32 oscillators to a single channel and run 32 tones. Apple
recomments that programmers write for a stereo machine and so only 16
simultaneous tones are possible (2 DACs per tone, one for each channel).
Apple reserves the last pair of oscillators for system usage, so 15 pairs are
usable under GS/OS.

You're posting this information as though it were "t0p-sekrit insider news" or
something. I hate to tell you this, but the "Apple //gs Hardware Reference
Manual" (which contains this information) has been available at Tower Books and
B. Daltons for the past five years. Why don't you buy one?

Speaking of comp.sys.apple2.tech: On the comp.sys.amigas everyone seems to
cross-post to all three newsgroups because of the loose classifications. For
example, every amiga hardware question seems to be cross-posted to
comp.sys.amiga, comp.sys.amiga.tech and comp.sys.amiga.hardware. Why not make
the separation a little more obvious and name it comp.sys.apple2.programming?
I'm sure we have enough Apple II/Apple //gs programmers to make the split
useful.

tm@polari

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (05/08/90)

In article <1981@polari.UUCP> tm@polari.UUCP (Toshi Morita) writes:
-The Ensoniq DOC has 32 oscillators. If monophonic sound is bearable then you
-can assign all 32 oscillators to a single channel and run 32 tones. Apple
-recomments that programmers write for a stereo machine and so only 16
-simultaneous tones are possible (2 DACs per tone, one for each channel).
-Apple reserves the last pair of oscillators for system usage, so 15 pairs are
-usable under GS/OS.

I didn't think stereo had anything at all to do with the oscillator
pairing.  There is one pair per channel, and stereo cards typically
route even-numbered channels to one side and odd-numbered channels
to the other.

lyle@netcom.UUCP (Lyle Fong) (05/08/90)

>You're posting this information as though it were "t0p-sekrit insider news" or
>something. I hate to tell you this, but the "Apple //gs Hardware Reference
>Manual" (which contains this information) has been available at Tower Books
>and B. Daltons for the past five years. Why don't you buy one?

What do you mean?  I have all the Apple IIgs technical manuals, but recent
discussion holds that many people don't know a lot about the IIgs, and
make automatic presumptions that if it is an Apple II, it is bad, and Macs
and IBMs rule.  Since that is not the case, I wanted to state the facts,
and show another point of view, that IS based on facts.

I don't see why some people are getting so hyped up about this..  but if
we don't stand up for the IIgs.. who will?  President Bush?

Toshi Morita also writes:

>I thought everyone and their dog knew this - where have you been for five
>years?

Obviously, not everyone does..  if you do.. it doesn't justify a stereotypical
remark that "everyone" does.... it's clear that MAC users don't.  And if
everyone DID, why then, did you restate it?

I was not trying to state NEW facts.. just THE facts.  If you have a problem
with someone trying to stick up for their Apple II, then.. stay off this
newsgroup.

Lyle @ netcom

jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeremy G. Mereness) (05/08/90)

> Excerpts from netnews.comp.sys.apple2: 7-May-90 Re: Ensoniq Doug
> Gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (684)

> In article <1981@polari.UUCP> tm@polari.UUCP (Toshi Morita) writes:

> -The Ensoniq DOC has 32 oscillators. If monophonic sound is bearable
> then you
> -can assign all 32 oscillators to a single channel and run 32 tones.
> Apple
> -recomments that programmers write for a stereo machine and so only 16
> -simultaneous tones are possible (2 DACs per tone, one for each channel).
> -Apple reserves the last pair of oscillators for system usage, so 15
> pairs are
> -usable under GS/OS.

Wrong. Or atleast I hope so...
The Ensoniq DOC is known in the synthesizer world as the Q chip, the
same machine that drives the Ensoniq Synthesizers Mirage, ESQ-1, and
Digital Piano. It is a 32 oscillator chip, each oscillator an
independent entity.

The Apple //gs is set up so that two of those oscillators are used for
timing. That leaves 30. The Apple tools split the oscillators in half,
so that for each tone, two oscillators are acting in combination. This
is a standard configuration for musical synthesizers, as a single
oscillator, playing by itself, sounds thin and unattractive. The second
oscillator, slightly detuned or better yet playing a different timbre or
waveform, fattens up the sound. This is called "Analog Synthesis" where
oscillators are layered on top of each other to create a final sound.

Conceivably, by bypassing the tools, you could have only one oscillator
per pitch, allowing you to have 30 notes plays simultaneously. Or you
could do the reverse, having 3 oscillators per pitch, allowing only 10
note polyphony but fattening up the sound quality tremendously.

This technique is not widely used on the //gs or any computer for that
matter, as computists prefer to sample the waveforms into a space and
leave it at that. The DOC has much more power, however, to take sampled
and/or simulated waveforms and layer them by the technique I described
above, but it has yet to be exploited.

My recommendation? Go to a music-performance store (a real one, not the
Kimball's at the mall) and play with the ESQ-1 by Ensoniq. Try
programming in a sound (called a "patch" in synth-speak) and become
familiar with filters and envelopes and modulations. Then, think about
that thing sitting inside every //gs in the country..... YOW!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^

dseah@wpi.wpi.edu (David I Seah) (05/08/90)

In article <1981@polari.UUCP> tm@polari.UUCP (Toshi Morita) writes:
>unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
>
>>In article <11669@netcom.UUCP> lyle@netcom.UUCP (Lyle Fong) writes:
>>>The sound on the IIgs is among the BEST in the PC industry, capable of
>>playing
>>>15 sounds simultaneously with Orchestraic quality.  It is better than most
>>>stock Macs, and better than IBM's even with AdLib sound cards on them.
>>        Well, you have underestimated it! As far as I've read/been told,
>>the GS's sound chip is capable of 31 channels simultaneously, yet through
>>"legal" means, 15 is how many you get... As we've all seen though, trickery
>>gets you much more than going through the legal means.
>
>I thought everyone and their dog knew this - where have you been for five
>years?

Give the guy a break. there are new IIGS users and new netnews dudes
cropping up every day.  Remember that guy who upgraded from System
Disk 3.1 to 5.0?  I bet he was really surprised!

>The Ensoniq DOC has 32 oscillators. If monophonic sound is bearable then you
>can assign all 32 oscillators to a single channel and run 32 tones. Apple
>recomments that programmers write for a stereo machine and so only 16
>simultaneous tones are possible (2 DACs per tone, one for each channel).
>Apple reserves the last pair of oscillators for system usage, so 15 pairs are
>usable under GS/OS.

There are two reasons I can think of for the 2 oscillators-per-voice
rule.  The Sound Tools operate two oscillators in "swap-mode", in
which only one oscillator is active at a time.  This allows the system
to play long samples: while one oscillator is playing part of a
sample, the other is getting prepped to play another chunk.  The other
reason is that two voices playing the same wavetable will sound
"richer".  There's a small difference between the outputs of any two
oscillators...oscillator output is time-multiplexed.  With this slight
delay, you get a "chorus" effect.  Two oscillators-per-channel doesn't
have anything to do with stereo effects...you assign the output
channel of an oscillator by setting some bits in the appropriate
Oscillator Control Register.

You don't have to assign all 32 oscillators to ONE channel to get
32 tones.  Remember, too, that you can decode for 8 separate channels...
it's all controlled by the Ensoniq oscillator control registers.

>You're posting this information as though it were "t0p-sekrit insider
>news" or something. I hate to tell you this, but the "Apple //gs
>Hardware Reference Manual" (which contains this information) has been
>available at Tower Books and B. Daltons for the past five years. Why
>don't you buy one?

Lyle posted a "feel good!" post, to which The Unknown User clarifies a
small point.  Perhaps you ought to crack open your hardware manual and
check up on the DOC to make sure I'm right.  Or ask your dog.
--
Dave Seah | O M N I D Y N E  S Y S T E M S - M |       "Yargh, cats!"
          |   User Friendly Killing Machines   |

gminette@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (The Silver Dragon: AKA G. Minette) (05/09/90)

[lots of stuff about how everyone thinks the Ensoniq DOC works deleted]

    Okay, hotshots, I was just looking through my "Apple IIgs Technical
Reference Manual" published by McGraw-Hill and I found some stuff about the
DOC.  Anything in {} is my comment.  It says, I quote:

"Control Register.  These registers control the channel assignment, oscil-
  lator mode, and halt bit for each oscillator in the form of a bit array."
(page 349, table 14-1)

"[Control register bit meaning table]
Bit                  Use
 0    Halt bit.  Set when an oscillator has been halted either by the DOC
       or otherwise.
 1-2  Mode.  The value in these two bits sets the oscillating mode as
       follows:
     0  Free Run - Oscillator runs in a continuous loop, repeating the
         waveform until halted or until there is a 0 in the waveform table.
     1  One Shot - Oscillator moves through the waveform table once and then
         Halts.
     2  Sync/AM - If lower oscillator is odd-numbered, it is used to amplitude
         Modulate the even oscillator. {as in waveform with an envelope}  If
         lower oscillator is even, the higher oscillator syncs to the lower
         one.  {what would this be for?}
     3  Swap - Uses a pair of oscillators (lower even and upper odd) in which
         the two oscillators swap off waveforms. {1 for attack, 1 for decay}
 3    Interrupt enable. If set, interrupt passed to the oscillator interrupt
       register when the oscillator completes the cycle.
 4    Set to route output to channel 0 of an external analog multiplexer.
 5    Set to route output to channel 1 of an external analog multiplexer.
 6    Set to route output to channel 2 of an external analog multiplexer.
 7    Set to route output to channel 3 of an external analog multiplexer."
(page 350, table 14-2)

It also says on page 335, in the fourth paragraph down from the top of the
page that:

"Many of the Sound Manager routines refer to generators.  A generator is a
pair (sometimes called a swap pair) of oscillators in Swap mode."

'Nuff said on that subject.

I also found something bizzarre sounding on page 351, table 14-3. It says:

"bit 6   Extend the addressing range of the DOC with address range beginning
         at 65536 if bit is 1."

Does this mean Apple expects to eventually make a 128K sound RAM?

Another thing, on a different subject.  It says on page 353 that the sound
output of the GS is fed to, among other places, "The sound line in the RGB
output connector. (Capable of driving a 600-ohm load)"  Anyone made use of
this yet?  Is it stereo or mono? (with that singular 'line', it sound like
it's Monophonic.  Can anyone confirm or deny this?)

	-Thanx,
	-The Silver Dragon.  (Just a GS user, not a GS wizard)

--
******************************* }>=:) (dragon smiley) *********************
*  _____  The Silver Dragon, G. Minette  *  "A sunrise is a beautiful     *

cyliao@eng.umd.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) (05/09/90)

In article <12800@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:

>, and stereo cards typically
>route even-numbered channels to one side and odd-numbered channels
>to the other.

	no, THE GS *tells* the stereo card *when* to output the signal to
	left and *when* to output signal to right. The stereo card only
	follow THE GS's commando.

--
cyliao@wam.umd.edu     		o NeXT :  I put main frame power on two chips.
      @epsl.umd.edu		o people: We put main flame power on two guys.