[comp.sys.apple2] ProFILE repairs

phs172m@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (05/08/90)

I recently bought a 10MB ProFILE cheaply which had suffered some sort of disk
crash.  When turned on it starts the self-test read/write routine, but after
about five cycles it stops, the ready light goes out and stays out.

My thoughts in buying this were that I could attempt to fix the disk, which
might involve replacing the hard disk unit (Seagate), or remove the ProFILE
innards and use the power supply to run a SCSI drive in the enclosure.  However
I remember talk about problems with formatting a ProFILE.

A friend who works for a dealer says that he remembers that formatting had to
be done using a special dealers only program that ran on an Apple III.  If this
is the case is there any way around it?  Otherwise I guess that I need to get a
copy of the program and find someone with an Apple III.  Any words of advice
are welcome - I would like to get a working hard disk, but can't afford other
methods at present.
--
Stephen Harker
Monash University

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (05/09/90)

In article <24073.2646bb2f@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au> phs172m@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au writes:
>I recently bought a 10MB ProFILE cheaply which had suffered some sort of disk
>crash.  When turned on it starts the self-test read/write routine, but after
>about five cycles it stops, the ready light goes out and stays out.

Yup, the ProFILE controller performs a disk check (typically takes about
90 seconds) when the disk is spun up.  It may also remap bad blocks (I'm
not sure about that).

>A friend who works for a dealer says that he remembers that formatting had to
>be done using a special dealers only program that ran on an Apple III.

I heard that too, but when I had the drive replaced in my 5MB ProFILE,
I seem to recall that we got it low-level formatted via ProDOS-8.

mikeu@pro-magic.cts.com (Mike Ungerman) (05/10/90)

I, too, used a cheap Profile for a number of years until the hard drive
failed.  The power supply and case make a nice base now for my 40mb miniscribe
interfaced to my Apple ][e with the Megaboard card by Perlin.

I believe I saw some Profile drives listed for sale on the misc.for.sale feed
some time ago.  You might also try Sun Remarketing and Shrieve Systems, both
listed in Computer Shopper for bare drives.
Mike Ungerman                      |Proline:mikeu@pro-magic
Pro-Magic BBS: 407-366-0156        |uucp:crash!pnet01!pro-magic!mikeu
300/1200/2400/9600 Baud 24hrs      |arpa:crash!pnet01!pro-magic!mikeu@nosc.mil
Apple Tree of Central Florida, Inc |Internet:mikeu@pro-magic.cts.com
Orlando, Florida|Voice:407-366-0060|Compuserve:71326,31 Prodigy: JSNP58A