[comp.sys.apple2] New SCSI card & SCSI drivers

jason@madnix.UUCP (Jason Blochowiak) (05/24/90)

In article <9005201920.AA20931@apple.com> larrylro@gnh-applesauce.cts.com (Larry LRO) writes:
>Im not going to argue that the system loaded those pic files and displayed them
>at 30+ frams per second, but Apple DMA SCSI designer Matt Gulick has said that
>the demo was done with a few tricks and isn't something the GS could do under
>normal conditions... They also used a native mode driver for the demo... that
>driver is supposed to be avaliable within the next 6 weeks.

	I was told that the demo used "as of yet undocumented features of
GS/OS." Specifically, (according to the person that I talked to) there's
supposed to be a "higher-level" read call (so that more gunk can be handled
within GS/OS), which includes something vaguely resembling a loop (sorry, my
memory is far from perfect).

	As for the drivers: I thought that the current (as of System 5.0.x)
SCSI drivers (both supervisory and device specific) _are_ native mode. If they
weren't, why would there be drivers for them sitting on my HD? (if they weren't
native drivers, they'd just be generated drivers that went through the Smart-
Port, right?) Perhaps the drivers were improved somehow?

	What's the deal with the other SCSI drivers (scanner and something
else, which I forget at the moment)? I recall reading somewhere (IIgs buyers
guide?) that they were being given to developers, but weren't yet ready for the
general public. Were they distributed with the DMA SCSI card?
--
                      Jason Blochowiak - jason@madnix.UUCP
or, try:         astroatc!nicmad!madnix!jason@spool.cs.wisc.edu