[comp.sys.apple2] Zlink probs.

toth@Tellabs.COM (Joseph G. Toth Jr.) (05/25/90)

In article <1423.2655660e@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu>, dastrout@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Yendor) writes:
> Has anyone had trouble with z-link?  On both my //e and a GS, we've
> been getting mouse chars after about 1hr. of use.  Log off and reconnect,
[Details of systems deleted]

Since no other useful information has been posted, and mail to the sender
bounced, I had to dig out some old info since the same thing occured to
me when I used kermit 65 (gosh that was a long time ago).  It was anoying.
However, I have not noticed this phenomenon since I started using
kermit 3.85 and kermit 3.86.

The cause of the problem is likely to be in the emulation of a vt100
terminal.  There are many ANSI sequences (terminal control commands that
are preceeded by an <esc> character) that must be handled by an emulator,
along with many specialized sequences that are not ASNI conformant.
It is possible that the terminal control as sent by the computer that
you are logged in on has sent a sequence that is not recognised by
Z-link, in which case; an <esc> character sent through the 80 column
print routines enables MouseText.  It is also possible to have noise
on the phone line generate almost anything.  My problems came when
I dumped some listings to my screen (they sometimes contained <esc>
characters, [why? I don't know] and MouseText was enabled).

To return to normal operation, I wrote (on the computer at work) a simple
routine that printed one character; the character that turns MouseText OFF.
You could also exit your comm program and run a program on the Apple to do
the same.  It might also be possible to have Z-link perform a macro that
will print the character to turn MouseText off.

Short primer;

  The <esc> character (decimal 27) printed to the Apple 80 column
  board enables MouseText.  This does not mean that any characters
  after the <esc> are displayed in MouseText.

  When MouseText is enabled, turning on INVERSE video causes the
  following text to be displayed using the MouseText character set.

  Conversly, returning to NORMAL display causes the following text
  to be displayed normally.  This does not, however, disable the
  MouseText feature.

  The <can> character (decimal 24) disables MouseText so that all
  displayable characters can be out in INVERSE video.

For a more detailed explanation on MouseText, along with information
//e enhancements (65c02 processor and enhanced ROMs), try to find a
back copy of A+ Magazine, August, 1985.
--
Maybe I shouldn't have done it, sarcasm is so   | Joseph G. Toth Jr.