[comp.sys.apple2] Applefest

lbotez@pro-grouch.cts.com (Lynda Botez) (05/04/90)

Well, today is Applefest eve; I was wondering if anyone on here is planning to
attend.

Not that I consider it a real Applefest; with Apple not attending and all.
But I'm sure there will be some interesting things happening there.

It's hard to believe that Applefest is here again; I was present in Boston at
the last spring fest...  things looked somewhat better then.

Lynda

UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!lbotez
ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!lbotez@nosc.mil
INET: lbotez@pro-grouch.cts.com

lmb7421@ultb.isc.rit.edu (Les Barstow: Phoenix) (05/07/90)

The weekend has come and gone, but I'm not really sure if AppleFest ever
showed up.
The show was held at the Atrium Convention Center in Somerset, NJ in a
building about an eighth the size of the Boston site.  The floor was
about 2/3 - 3/4 the size of the one in Boston, and it was populated
quite a variety of vendors.  Seminars were held in the Hilton next door,
although I didn't pay to attend any (they weren't as appealing as last
year's list...)

Those who showed up:
the Genesys people - Genesys is finally out and running, and it's
   impressive - a full programmers tool devoted to programming the
   desktop for you in any of a variety of languages.  They were also
   selling a 4Meg SIMM card called AppleSauce unpopulated $90 or so...
ByteWorks - only a few days away from release of v1.1 of ORCA/C, they
   were quite popular... They are also introducing a DeskTop programming
   aid called Design Master which was in final beta-test (about the same
   distance away from release as ORCA/C v1.1).  Their other compilers
   were up for sale as well, and everything was 50% off!  ORCA/C has had
   most of its bugs worked out and fixed - I couldn't resist, so I broke
   down and forked out the money for it.  I'm impressed so far.
IBM - well, they kind of showed up.  They took it for a small-time
   education event and showed up with some wimpy demo equipment and
   their marketting-only people.  Not impressive at all.
Commodore - They showed up, and they teamed up with Roland to try to put
   the GS down - it didn't work.  Two computers hooked up through
   speakers connected to a Roland synthesizer drew a crowd at first due
   to their prime location (right by the entrance), but GreenWing
   Software (a shareware vendor mostly) booted up SoundSmith and stole
   the show - I couldn't even approach the booth or see the program
   running - funny how one computer with that software can outperform
   two and a synth :-).  They also had the 3000, the new OS (on demo),
   and their new Icon-based programming "language" which they hope will
   put HyperCard to shame (sorry, CBM, it won't work - it's too
   confusing and underpowered.)  They also had a recorded fractal show.
   Yeah.
Beagle Bros. - Their standard booth.  Nothing new, but it still looks
   good.
Roger Wagner Publishing - HyperStudio strikes.  In addition to their
   booth, many of the computers at the Fest were running HyperStudio.
   The GS composed the single most abundant computer at the Fest by far,
   which was comforting.  IBM took second, CBM had their booth plus one
   or two other companies who were demoing their software.
InCider - their usual booth...
   Also, their usual prizes.
Apple ][GS Buyer's Guide - The new issue was being given out free with a
   year's paid subscription.  I'll wait (I want to read it though for the
   Sculley interview).
Many, many software vendors - vendors made up most of the show this
   year, as opposed to last year, when the show was split evenly.
America Online - a busy place, although I couldn't tell if they were
   doing anything unusual.
WordPerfect - They appeared, but they left their tech support behind.
   One of the GS people was there, but not on company time.
Sierra Online - Demoing old stuff. yeah.
MindScape educational division - when asked about the game division,
   they were very blunt - they didn't know and didn't care.  Apparently
   the divisions aren't getting along too well.
Broderbund - Nothing much new to report here, either.
Milliken - Same.

Those who didn't show:
Apple Computer - well, we knew this in advance.  They could have come
   out the big winners in this show had they appeared.  CBM and IBM both
   seemed to put little effort into the show.
Laser Computer - This was a shock.  I kinda figured Laser would try to
   replace Apple's spot in the show, but they didn't appear.  Oh, well.
Zip Technologies - I thought they'd be there, too.  Again, Oh well.
AE - I half-hoped they'd be there, now that they are making products for
   other computers, including IBM and CBM.  But, they didn't show.
   One vendor almost had us fooled, though.  A great big towering booth
   with the AE banners plastered on it looked very similar to the one
   AE used last year from over the top of the other booths, but alas.
Intuitive Systems (Inner Drive People) - Them and HAL Labs, who seem to
   hang around them, were both absent.  I was kinda hoping to get my
   new version of their LISA816 assembler, but no such luck.

Notes: There were almost no product announcements from anyone. Ich.
Many Apple vendors did not put ComputerFest on their booth - only
 AppleFest :-) I think this was a subtle hint.
Mike Harvey was there, along with Uncle DOS and a few others whom I
 didn't immediately recognize, and they had a jam session on what they
 thought Apple should be doing, and what Apple was doing. Nothing major.
As stated, the GS was the prevalent machine.  This is a good sign.

To Apple, if someone could forward this (Cary, Matt?, Dave? (where are
they?????)):

_If_ AppleFest/ComputerFest gets held again next year, I would suggest
you show up.  Apple's marketting division is in better shape than either
CBM's or IBM's was at this show - I think Apple could win a significant
number of people over to their side by showing up with a force dedicated
to the Apple lines, and specifically the Apple ][ line.  The original
Apple store demo (which I would love to have - anyone?) was better than
what either of the other companies was showing.  AppleWorksGS would have
been a nice demo, too.  Also, please, *please* start recognizing the
home and individual market.  Most of the comments I heard at the Fest
were about how Apple seems to think they can catch almost every user in
either the Business or Educational division's area.  This isn't true.
Almost all of the people I know who use Apples do so on an individual
level.  They bought their computer on their own (okay, maybe they first
met one in the school, but they didn't buy it through there...).
Recognizing an individual user as an important marketting target may
just put the GS back where it belongs (it wouldn't hurt the Mac,
either).

Overall comments:
The Fest was very disappointing: Small, too diverse, and low attendance
by Apple vendors hurt the show.  A larger hall with more vendors and
Apple support could turn this show back into the event that it was last
year.  I hope for the best.  I think that Apple may make a turnaround if
pushed hard enough, and they may just come through this okay.
--
Les Barstow      | Send me mail on what you'd like to see in a BBS program
SunSinger        | and/or a terminal emulation program.

bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com (Bob Lindabury) (05/09/90)

> IBM - well, they kind of showed up.  They took it for a small-time
> education event and showed up with some wimpy demo equipment and
> their marketting-only people.  Not impressive at all.
> Commodore - They showed up, and they teamed up with Roland to try to put
> the GS down - it didn't work.  Two computers hooked up through
> speakers connected to a Roland synthesizer drew a crowd at first due
> to their prime location (right by the entrance), but GreenWing
> Software (a shareware vendor mostly) booted up SoundSmith and stole
> the show - I couldn't even approach the booth or see the program
> running - funny how one computer with that software can outperform
> two and a synth :-).  They also had the 3000, the new OS (on demo),
> and their new Icon-based programming "language" which they hope will
> put HyperCard to shame (sorry, CBM, it won't work - it's too
> confusing and underpowered.)  They also had a recorded fractal show.
> Yeah.

Applefest was a bust.  It was the lamest show I've ever been to in my life and
I had to pay $15.00 to boot!  The only professional looking booth was Beagle
Bros. booth.  At least Commodore was there with about 10-15 Amigas.  IBM
wasn't there and neither was Apple. (no surprise)  Wordperfect showed with the
second most professional looking booth.  That was about as close to a real
show as it ever got.  The biggest booths were mail order houses trying to sell
software...

Before you start putting down other computers, maybe you should sit down and
take a good look around you.  I happen to own at least one of each of the
computers you mentioned above so I have a pretty good idea of the strengths
and weaknesses of all of them.  You might as well kiss the Apple market
goodbye.  It's a fact!  This last Applefest (or is that Applejoke?!) was the
confirmation of this.  The Apple // market is shriviling to nothing while the
computers you put down are expanding, adding new lines and prospering.

I think you had best face the facts and open your eyes to reality.

I will not get in a computer war with you or anyone else but I own 2 Apple
//'s (a GS and a //e) loaded with memory, addons and hard disks and they still
don't hold a candle to my other systems.  The only place the GS really shines
is in sound...big deal.  The sound chip in the computer doesn't make it a good
machine for musicians since most just control synths and other items so your
point about Soundsmith is rediculous.

Get a life.

-- Bob
_______________________ Pro-Graphics BBS  201/469-0049 ________________________

InterNet: bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com          |       ProLine: bobl@pro-graphics
    UUCP: ..crash!pro-graphics!bobl          |        CServe: 70347,2344
ARPA/DDN: ..crash!pro-graphics!bobl@nosc.mil |  Amer. Online: Graphics3D
___________                                                        ____________
            Raven Enterprises - 25 Raven Ave. Piscataway, NJ 08854

crew@pro-harvest.cts.com (Chris Wicklein) (05/26/90)

  Yeah, that's the ticket! I propose that every one who can write software for
the Apple II write 1 good public domain program (prefering alot of IIGS
sound and graphics programs), and all those who can't beg for them. A single
program per author/company wouldn't cost much, would generate alot of free
software, and could be quite benificial to the Apple II software
industry/market.

UUCP: crash!pro-harvest!crew             ProLine: crew@pro-harvest
ARPA: crash!pro-harvest!crew@nosc.mil
INET: crew@pro-harvest.cts.com    BITNET: crew%pro-harvest.cts.com

Gosh, I finally figured out how to edit my .SIGNATURE file, and I can't think
of much to say.

Send me questions, comments, and anything else I might find interesting.