[comp.sys.apple2] Memory Problem on GS??

mccalld@mist.cs.orst.edu (DARCY MC-CALLUM) (05/30/90)

Help!!  My cousin is having trouble with his Apple2GS and I know nothing about
this machine.  His machine is a GS that has a memory expansion to 1024K.  The
problem is when he tries to run the 1024k version of "Where in the World" (which
he bought new), it won't start.  You have to swap the disks a couple of times
when booting, and when it gets to the point where is should start, it hangs.
This game works fine on another machine, and the 512k version will work OK on
his machine.  What should he try?  Is there a possible memory problem, and if
so will the checks that have been posted lately test for this?  Or is he doing
something wrong?  If you have any suggestions please let me know.

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (05/30/90)

In article <18590@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> mccalld@mist.UUCP (DARCY MC-CALLUM) writes:
>problem is when he tries to run the 1024k version of "Where in the World" (which
>he bought new), it won't start.  You have to swap the disks a couple of times
>when booting, and when it gets to the point where is should start, it hangs.
>This game works fine on another machine, and the 512k version will work OK on
>his machine.

I totally don't understand this -- when I bought "Where in the World is
Carmen Sandiego" for the Apple IIGS not very long ago, there were not
two versions labeled 1024k and 512k; has this changed?  In any case,
it worked fine on my system (with 2MB expansion), even from a hard disk.
(I also removed the copy-protection, but that's another story.)

If he's launching CARMEN.WORLD by double-clicking etc. from some other
system disk than the one supplied with the game, then possibly the
problem is that some additional device drivers, desk accessories, etc.
have consumed too much memory, leaving not enough for Carmen.World.
This is a fairly common problem when using large commercial applications.