[comp.sys.apple2] Monitor as a TV

hsu@osgood.harvard.edu (Eric Hsu) (04/12/90)

	I remember reading a long time ago about a gizmo you could attach
to your monitor and turn it into a TV. It claimed that since the monitor
actually had higher resolution than normal TVs the picture quality would be
better than TV. Does anyone know anything about this?

	It doesn't seem too implausible. How much extra hardware would this
require? After all with a monitor and (admittedly low-fi) speaker, all you'd
need is something to grab the signals and something to select channels, right?

	I eagerly await response from those better informed than I !

Eric Hsu                           ehsu@husc4.Bitnet, ehsu@husc4.harvard.edu

zr1@watcsc.waterloo.edu (Christopher Koziol) (04/14/90)

In article <2550@husc6.harvard.edu>, ehsu@husc4.harvard.edu (Eric Hsu) wrote:

>	I remember reading a long time ago about a gizmo you could attach
>to your monitor and turn it into a TV. It claimed that since the monitor
>actually had higher resolution than normal TVs the picture quality would be
>better than TV. Does anyone know anything about this?

A few years back TAXAN made a TV to RGB converter for their monitors, they
only sold it for a few years, so it could not have been a big hit.

>	It doesn't seem too implausible. How much extra hardware would this
>require? After all with a monitor and (admittedly low-fi) speaker, all you'd
>	I eagerly await response from those better informed than I !
>
>Eric Hsu                           ehsu@husc4.Bitnet, ehsu@husc4.harvard.edu

Television is broadcast in North America in NTSC format, the other formats are
called PAL in the UK, SECAM in France, and these systems are used in different
countries.

NTSC broadcasts enough picture signal to produce a picture quality of 420
horizontal dots and 525 lines, while PAL has 625 lines (100 extra lines does
make a difference). So most TV are really overpriced cheap monitors, and some
don't even produce 525 lines, but only 230 lines, and some VCRs only record
230 or 240 lines, while SVHS can record 400 lines of signal, but if you have a
a cheap TV you can't see them.

Most high quality monitors have high resolution numbers, as high as
1024 X 1024 pixels. Showing a TV signal on a hi-res monitor has no
effect because NTSC is only a 6 Mhz signal, but most monitors require
a video signal of 15 - 30 Mhz, and monitors and TV have a picture
aspect ratio of 4:3. HDTV is a different system having a picture ratio
of 5 1/3:3 more like 35 mm film in theatres. HDTV aslo requires a picture
of 20 Mhz to produce its 1024 scan lines, this is why it is not a standard.

New TV system proposed would use a computer in the TV to double each scan
line while using the NTSC format. Some are even trying to quadruple each
scan line. Only the future will tell.

To get the best picture you can get is to use a VCR and to use the VIDEO
OUT signal to a VIDEO IN on the TV, using video signal gives a crisp
picture because each time you convert the picture you lose quality, a
raw video signal is the best. Also MAKE SURE your TV can show 525 scan
lines, you may have to check the manual to know for sure. Some manufactures
advertise higher quality picture quality, but haven't personally investigated
this claim.

You may not even have to buy a TV just a high quality monitor that takes
NTSC raw video in, also called composite video. Using a VCR or a cable
converter that has composite video out jacks.

Christopher Koziol			zr1@watcsc.waterloo.edu
University of Waterloo Computer Science Club.

Witty saying:

"If I wanted your opinion, I would have given it to you!
"If I wanted your opinion, I would have given it to you!"

prl3546@tahoma.UUCP (Philip R. Lindberg) (04/29/90)

From article <54329@microsoft.UUCP>, by brianw@microsoft.UUCP (Brian WILLOUGHBY):
> sb@pro-generic.cts.com (Stephen Brown) writes:
>>
>>The signal that comes out of the Apple II is most certainly NTSC-compatible,
>>but it is hardly NTSC. There are some very relevent differences; just look at
>> [...]
>
> I have heard that the Apple's video output cannot be recorded on a VCR.
> That sounds like a serious deviation from NTSC to me!
>
> Brian Willoughby

Brian,  I have recorded the Apple II video on to a VCR and it works just
fine.  There is a program out (commercial) which takes advantage of this to
use the Apple II to develop introduction sequences (and/or ad clips) for
home video recordings.  I have "spiffed up" all of my latest home videos
with it and it works great.

Phil

|If my IIgs 'll just hold out for a few more months 'til ROM 04   |
| Phil Lindberg	      	 	     snail mail: 13845 S.E. 131 ST|
| UUCP: ..!uunet!bcstec!tahoma!prl3546            Renton, WA 98056|
|    Disclaimer: I don't speak for my employer.			  |

daveharv@pro-novapple.cts.com (Dave Harvey) (05/02/90)

> I have heard that the Apple's video output cannot be recorded on a VCR.
> That sounds like a serious deviation from NTSC to me!

I've done exactly that.  Record the output from a //e to a VCR.  The
resolution isn't too great, however, but it's definately compatable with the
VCR.  I was using a Panasonic VHS VCR at the time.  I could read the 80
characters ok.  Didn't try it with graphics.

proline: pro-novapple!daveharv                    |
uucp: crash!pnet01!pro-novapple!daveharv          |   Pro-novapple BBS
arpa: crash!pnet01!pro-novapple!daveharv@nosc.mil |  300/1200/2400/9600 Baud
Internet: daveharv@pro-novapple.cts.com           |    703-671-0415

Northern Virginia Apple Users Group               |
P.O. Box 8211, Falls Church, VA 22041             |

qig@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (The Insane Hermit) (05/03/90)

	Well VCR's tape graphics from an Apple //e just fine.  I was given a
project in my creative writing class Junior year in which our project had to
be creative, and have something to writing in it.  So I whipped out Take1 tm
and wrote up a script produced and tapped it.  Had soem friends of mine drop
their voices onto tape to go with the script.  Hi Res graphics but I got a B
on it a high oen even if I remember corectly.  My teacher just popped in the
tape I made and I started the audio tape and we all sat and watched the five
minute mini-cartoon I wrote.  People actually liked it even!

						The Insane Hermit
						The Zip-Man
						Chris Eleveld

p.s. if you can't deal with all my names pick your favorite.

j.ruby@pro-hysteria.cts.com (James Ruby) (05/29/90)

could you tell me what software is around for the iigs and what price
range I should expect?

please reply in email....

UUCP: {bungia, crash}!orbit!pnet51!pro-hysteria!j.ruby
ARPA: {bungia, crash}!orbit!pnet51!pro-hysteria!j.ruby@nosc.mil
INET: j.ruby@pro-hysteria.cts.com

coxr@ecn.purdue.edu (Richard L Cox) (05/31/90)

   For a good idea of the range of prices and types of software available
look at an issue of A+/Incider (the two magazines merged recently).  There
are many very reliable mail order companies which have the lowest (legal)
prices around.  I have ordered from most of them, Zimco, Programs Plus, etc.
You could just brouse one in the drug store to get a feel of what's out there.
You should also keep in mind that with a PC Transporter by Applied Engineering
you can open up the world of IBM software on you IIGS.

   To give you a good idea though there are several Desktop Publishing
programs, compliers for many languages, C, Pascal, machine language(assembly).
Even Hypermedia (like Hypercard for the Mac).  I personally use AppleWorks GS
and Love it (With a Hard Drive AND Transwarp GS only though so don't flame me
because using it with 3.5 disk is insane!).  There is also an article in the
last issue of A+/Incider about replacing the 65c816 7MHz processor that comes
with the Transwarp GS with a new one at 9MHz and there are experimental ones
which you can get at 13 MHz.  You can do it yourself and don't even need to
solder anything, just pop in a new one and a faster crystal oscilator.

Hope this helps (yes it is a biased opinion).

-Rich

|      |              |"Every silver lining's got a |coxr@en.ecn.purdue.edu  |
|      |              |     touch of grey..."       |                        |
|   (o)(o)            |-(Jerry Garcia,Robert Hunter)|Online America: RichKid |
\(o    >  ----------  |     The Grateful Dead       |                        |
/    \
--