[comp.sys.apple2] Opus autoval question

chines@pro-europa.cts.com (Clifford Hines) (05/28/90)

How would you about setting up a Apple IIe running proterm 1.2 to answer the
phone when you are on automatic autovalidation that some IBM systems use?
I have left the computer in unattended mode,that does not work, are there any
other methods that might work?
Thanks
Cliff

UUCP: crash!pro-europa!chines
ARPA: crash!pro-europa!chines@nosc.mil
INET: chines@pro-europa.cts.com

paul@pro-europa.cts.com (System Administrator) (05/30/90)

> How would you about setting up a Apple IIe running proterm 1.2 to answer the
> phone when you are on automatic autovalidation that some IBM systems use?
> I have left the computer in unattended mode,that does not work, are there any
> other methods that might work?

You really can't with ProTERM 1.2 since you cannot manually toggle on and
offline status (OA-CTL-T) with the older versions.

If you were using the current version you could toggle your system into online
mode and issue a ATA command to have your modem answer the call.

I strongly suggest you spend a few bucks and upgrade your software.

As an aside, let me go on record as opposing bbs systems that use a call back
feature to verify existense of a user.  On the surface it's a good idea but if
you happen to have three phone lines like I do and don't use your voice number
with your modem.

Cheers!

paul@pro-europa.cts.com
.. crash!pro-europa!paul

skann@gnh-applesauce.cts.com (Steve Kann) (05/31/90)

        Sure there is a way, from the main Proterm menu, just type OA-ctrl-T to
get into "online" mode. When the phone rings, type ATA <CR> to signal your
modem to answer the ringing phone! That's all!

Proline:skann@gnh-applesauce      <--- Preferred
America online: NYSteve
CI$:70265,1141
UUCP: !crash!pnet01!gnh-applesauce!skann         This is just my opinion!
INET: skann@gnh-applesauce.cts.com               ************************
ARPA: crash!pnet01!gnh-applesauce!skann@nosc.mil    "Don't blame me!"