[comp.sys.apple2] Orca/C and Orca Environment

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (05/25/90)

In article <IaL1GL200VR0I3dUc=@andrew.cmu.edu> jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeremy G. Mereness) writes:
>> How about NCSA Telnet -- a lot of us are looking for something like that on
>> the GS.
>Yes... could this new compiler handle tasks such as this? Porting a
>program from say, a Mac, IBM, or Unix environment?

There is much more involved in porting C applications across different
operating system environments than any compiler could reasonably be
expected to take care of.  In fact, anybody who tries to bring up NCSA
Telnet on the GS should soon discover that it is a nontrivial task and
that the worst problems are not ones that can be addressed by the
C software generation system.

>The complaints about the current ORCA/C have been so loud, 64K limit,
>bad editor, and so forth, that I have been holding off for a long time.

Release 1.0 of ORCA/C is difficult to use simply due to bugs, for example
generating incorrect code for static objects.  However, these have been
fixed in the Beta test versions of Release 1.1, which is very solid at
this point.

ORCA/C actually supports two "memory models" and comes with libraries
for both.  The "small model" has 64K data constraints but the "large
model" lifts these at the cost of somewhat slower access to the objects
and slightly larger code.  No single function can contain more than 64K
of code, but there is no reason for anybody to write code that exceeds
that limit.

The desktop text editor works quite well in the current released version,
although on RARE occasion I am still able to get it confused (in which
case quitting and restarting usually fixes things).  It is certainly good
enough for routine software development, and is tied into the compiler's
error detection so that the cursor is automatically placed on the line
where the error was detected.  This is quite handy.

>The first thing I would do with a C compiler for the GS would be to port
>software from other platforms; I wouldn't be interested in anything that
>would have unusual difficulties accomplishing this.

The only real problem used to be the excessive bugginess, but as of
Release 1.1 (which will be sent to registered owners of 1.0 as soon as
it is available, and can be obtained in Beta test form now just for the
asking on AO), it should be eminently usable.  However, don't expect the
C library to provide fork() or AmigaDOS system calls.  Nonportable stuff
like that you should always expect to have to deal with when porting C
applications across platforms.  Note also that the Apple IIGS desktop
tools don't have the same interface as the analogous Macintosh tools,
although the concepts and usage are similar.

>Are you saying that ORCA/C 1.1 _will_ fit the bill? Nearly as reliable
>as /bin/cc in Unix?

ORCA/C 1.1 is the only viable choice I know of for a C compiler on the
Apple IIGS.  APW C is usable but rather out of date.  Aztec C works but
only for the 8-bit environment, which is too limiting for the IIGS.

m.tiernan@pro-angmar.UUCP (Michael Tiernan) (05/27/90)

Mr Chin, your frustration is shared by many but I also think your anger is a
smidge beyond what it should be (but I'm not in your shoes).  I too am a UNIX
lover and would dearly love to use it on my IIgs.  I purchased the Orca system
sometime ago because I was foolish enough to believe some people that I
trusted that it was just like UNIX.  I also believed it wouldn't be too
different in its use.  What a mistake that was.  If you look in the manuals,
Mike W points out that his experience that he draws on to have created the
Orca environment is an IB* main frame.  (Now there's a group that know how to
write easy to use software!)  However, other people have made an effort to
correct some (who could do all of them) the short comings of the Orca shell.
There is a company that sells some utilities that run very well such as greps,
mores, and a whole bunch of UNIX standards.  I have the grep that Mike W wrote
and it works very good.  Me, I'm not an emacs type, I like VI still.  Anyone
know where to find a source for that?

<< MCT >>

GEnie       : M.Tiernan
AppleLinkPE : M Tiernan or BCS Mike
Internet    : pro-angmar!m.tiernan@alphalpha.com
UUCP        : ...!uunet!alphalpha!pro-angmar!m.tiernan

"And the sweating of their souls can't wash the blood from off their hands."
                                                                  - Phil Ochs

m.tiernan@pro-angmar.UUCP (Michael Tiernan) (05/27/90)

By the way, there is a mucho better editor available for Orca that was written
by Randy (oh hell, I forgot his name, workes for Begle Bros and worked on
AWorks)
It's called Rose (his wifes name) and you can get it from GEnie.  It's slick,
fast (5-6 times atleast) and is well written.  It's still in beta/shareware
form and I don't know if he's going to change it but its worth the time.

<< MCT >>

GEnie       : M.Tiernan
AppleLinkPE : M Tiernan or BCS Mike
Internet    : pro-angmar!m.tiernan@alphalpha.com
UUCP        : ...!uunet!alphalpha!pro-angmar!m.tiernan

"And the sweating of their souls can't wash the blood from off their hands."
                                                                  - Phil Ochs

mdavis@pro-sol.cts.com (Morgan Davis) (05/29/90)

Uh, isn't ROSE an acronym for Randy's Own Screen Editor?

UUCP: crash!pnet01!pro-sol!mdavis		ProLine:  mdavis@pro-sol
ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-sol!mdavis@nosc.mil	MCI Mail: 137-6036
INET: mdavis@pro-sol.cts.com			America Online, BIX: mdavis

herwin@pro-novapple.cts.com (Harry Erwin) (06/01/90)

>How about NCSA Telnet -- a lot of us are looking for something like that on
>the GS.

Try porting it.
Harry Erwin
    proline: pro-novapple!herwin
             gnh-starport!herwin
    uucp: crash!pro-novapple!herwin
          crash!pnet01!gnh-starport!herwin
    arpa: crash!pro-novapple!herwin@nosc.mil
          crash!pnet01!gnh-starport!herwin@nosc.mil
    Internet: herwin@pro-novapple.cts.com
    Telenet: herwin/trw
    Applelink: herwin

herwin@pro-novapple.cts.com (Harry Erwin) (06/01/90)

>Are you saying that ORCA/C 1.1 _will_ fit the bill? Nearly as reliable
>as /bin/cc in Unix?

Yes.