[comp.sys.apple2] ORCA/C v1.11

chin@ankh.ftl.fl.us (Albert Chin) (05/29/90)

While most of you know I dislike the C compiler in the ORCA environment,
I have recently been testing out the v1.11 beta release of ORCA/C and
I must say I am glad it is here. It definitely fixes many of the bugs
that were in v1.0.

However, I would like to see REAL optimization in the compiler. I will
include this in my letter to the Byte Works. Please keep the letters
coming regarding bugs, enhancements, etc. on all Apple II and IIgs
development platforms. It is important that we, as programmers, unite
to free ourselves.

Thanks,

Albert Chin ... mthvax!mamia!albert

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (05/29/90)

In article <346@ankh.ftl.fl.us> chin@ankh.ftl.fl.us (Albert Chin) writes:
>However, I would like to see REAL optimization in the compiler.

What specifically is the problem?  Have you enabled all optimizations
(e.g. by #pragma optimize -1)?  The default is no optimization, partly
so that the resulting code will better support source-level debugging.

chin@ankh.ftl.fl.us (Albert Chin) (06/01/90)

In article <13012@smoke.BRL.MIL>, gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:
> In article <346@ankh.ftl.fl.us> chin@ankh.ftl.fl.us (Albert Chin) writes:
> >However, I would like to see REAL optimization in the compiler.
>
> What specifically is the problem?  Have you enabled all optimizations
> (e.g. by #pragma optimize -1)?  The default is no optimization, partly
> so that the resulting code will better support source-level debugging.

I spoke to Mike about updating the editor in the ORCA shell and he said
that if it was done in C it would be slower than it is now. Now, that's
not much for optimization is it? C programs CAN approach the speed of
assembly, providing the resulting code is efficient. Even the print
routines in ORCA/C are slow...

albert chin ... mthvax!mamia!albert

P.S. #pragma optimize -1 is in all my programs.