[comp.sys.apple2] partitions of 32

Mark Lieb <sl195091@silver.ucs.indiana.edu> (05/31/90)

I was talking with a friend about the use of HD larger than the allowed
standard of 32megs as per ProDOS.  With the advent and introduction of
larger HDs, ie Vulcan, how is this problem overcome?

Thanks,

Mark Lieb
...Sage
Oz Fozzler

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (06/01/90)

In article <46253@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> sl195091@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Mark Lieb) writes:
>I was talking with a friend about the use of HD larger than the allowed
>standard of 32megs as per ProDOS.  With the advent and introduction of
>larger HDs, ie Vulcan, how is this problem overcome?

At present, one partitions the disk into segments that don't exceed the
32MB ProDOS filesystem limit.  There is a partition table in a standard
place on the disk that contains the size and location information.

rat@madnix.UUCP (David Douthitt) (06/03/90)

guyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:

>>I was talking with a friend about the use of HD larger than the allowed
>>standard of 32megs as per ProDOS.  With the advent and introduction of
>>larger HDs, ie Vulcan, how is this problem overcome?
>
>At present, one partitions the disk into segments that don't exceed the
>32MB ProDOS filesystem limit.

Isn't there also a 2 drives per slot limit?  How does a super large
HD get handled, for example, say, a 100M drive?  With a 32M max partition,
that would mean right about 4 partitions.  How would Prodos use all
these partitions?

Just curious...

--
! InterNet: madnix!rat@cs.wisc.edu              !  David Douthitt
!     UUCP: ...uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!rat !  Madison, Wisconsin

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (06/05/90)

In article <1369@madnix.UUCP> rat@madnix.UUCP (David Douthitt) writes:
>Isn't there also a 2 drives per slot limit?  How does a super large
>HD get handled, for example, say, a 100M drive?  With a 32M max partition,
>that would mean right about 4 partitions.  How would Prodos use all
>these partitions?

Not quite -- ProDOS-8 supports only two partitions per device, although
under certain circumstances it will map two more for a second device on
the same controller (slot 5 into slot 2, if I recall correctly).  However,
GS/OS directly supports a more-or-less arbitarily large number of
partitions, and each SCSI bus supports up to 7 peripherals.

One consequence of this for IIGS users is that any software that
executes in an 8-bit environment had better keep its files in the
first two partitions, so that ProDOS-8 can see them.