[comp.sys.apple2] Novell on the Apple?

mray@pro-europa.cts.com (Mike Ray) (05/30/90)

I was presented with a problem recently and I'd like to see if anyone can help
me with it.  I am setting up a Novell Network (ELS-1) on a 80386 system, and I
want to know if an Apple ][GS can be added to it.  I know that a Macintosh can
be added via: AppleTalk, and I know that the ][GS can support AppleTalk.  Can
a ][GS talk to Novell?

-Mike

UUCP: crash!pro-europa!mray
ARPA: crash!pro-europa!mray@nosc.mil
INET: mray@pro-europa.cts.com

Les_Ferch.@MTSG.UBC.CA (05/31/90)

>Can a ][GS talk to Novell?

I got a good laugh from your message title (Netware will most certainly never
be made for the IIgs) however, when I read your question, I realized your
query was quite a sensible one. :)

Anyhow, the IIgs knows diddly about Novell, but that's OK, neither does the
Mac when it comes right down to it.  Both (the GS and Mac) have Appleshare
client software included with the OS that can recognize any Appleshare
server.  The Mac software can work reliably with Appletalk Phase 1 and 2
servers, but the GS Appleshare requires a Phase 2 server.  As far as I know,
the Novell Appleshare VAP is Phase 2, so you should be in luck.

If you already have Macs on the network, all you have to do is install
Appleshare on the GS and plug it into the network.  If you don't already
have Macs attached, then you may not have the Appleshare VAP for Novell
installed (but you may have the software kicking around, depending on
what version you bought).  At any rate, you need to install the latest
version of Novell to have it all work reliably (2.15c or something).

rnf@shumv1.ncsu.edu (Rick Fincher) (05/31/90)

In article <2264750@mtsg.ubc.ca> Les_Ferch.@MTSG.UBC.CA writes:

>>Can a ][GS talk to Novell?
>
>I got a good laugh from your message title (Netware will most certainly never
>be made for the IIgs) however, when I read your question, I realized your
>query was quite a sensible one. :)

Too many people laugh when someone talks about the IIGS for serious work.

>Anyhow, the IIgs knows diddly about Novell, but that's OK, neither does the
>Mac when it comes right down to it.  Both (the GS and Mac) have Appleshare
>client software included with the OS that can recognize any Appleshare
>server.  The Mac software can work reliably with Appletalk Phase 1 and 2
>servers, but the GS Appleshare requires a Phase 2 server.  As far as I know,
>the Novell Appleshare VAP is Phase 2, so you should be in luck.

AppleTalk Phase 2 has nothing to do with it.  It is AFP 2.0 that is the filing
protocol on servers that SHOULD work with Apple II's.  I think that's what
you meant.

Phase II is a lower level protocol change that allows more nodes per zone,
among other things.

>If you already have Macs on the network, all you have to do is install
>Appleshare on the GS and plug it into the network.

Assuming the net software is fully AFP 2.0 compliant.

>If you don't already
>have Macs attached, then you may not have the Appleshare VAP for Novell
>installed (but you may have the software kicking around, depending on
>what version you bought).  At any rate, you need to install the latest
>version of Novell to have it all work reliably (2.15c or something).

Rick Fincher
rnf@shumv1.ncsu.edu

mray@pro-europa.cts.com (Mike Ray) (06/01/90)

Okay, we're running Novell Netware ELS-1 on a 386SX, and I'm using Compex
Arcnet boards.  I don't have any sort of Appleshare or anything currently on
the ][GS, but if it's possible to interface these two, what do I need to buy
to make it do this?

rnf@shumv1.ncsu.edu (Rick Fincher) (06/03/90)

In article <2930@crash.cts.com> mray@pro-europa.cts.com (Mike Ray) writes:

>Okay, we're running Novell Netware ELS-1 on a 386SX, and I'm using Compex
>Arcnet boards.  I don't have any sort of Appleshare or anything currently on
>the ][GS, but if it's possible to interface these two, what do I need to buy
>to make it do this?

You'll need the newest version of netware (2.15 I think).  If you already have
2.0 but not the Mac stuff I think the upgrade is free.

Youu will need an AppleTalk board for your server, I know Novell supports
the Apple brand card,  I think they support the TOPs board and a few others,
including a microchannel board.

Your server card will need a connector (PhoneNet or LocalTalk) usually
the PC cards have the 9 pin 'D' connector.  You'll need an 8 pin mini-
DIN PhoneNet or LocalTalk connector for you IIGS serial port, too.  The
GS comes with the AppleSharee client software in the form of the AppleShare
FST.

I don't know if it actually works because I haven't tested it, but if it
follows the AFP 2.0 rules, it should.

Rick

mray@pro-europa.cts.com (Mike Ray) (06/05/90)

Thanks a lot!  So all I should have to buy at this point is the new card,
correct?  (and cabling)  That's the AppleTalk card for the server.  What does
it usually run?  Anyone know?