[comp.sys.apple2] Copyprotection on other machines

bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) (06/03/90)

I have a question for those of you who are using more than one
type of computer, or who have recently moved from the // e,c to the
GS. Is copy-protection more prevalent for any type of machine, or does
it depend more upon the vendor? I was wandering if Apple's position
against copy-protection had made a dent. It's really amazing when you
look at all of the potentially nice programs that have been ruined
by copy-protection. Anyone remember Quark?
Another question along the same lines. There is a lot of talk of
lack of compatibility between different GS rom versions. Is this due
primarily to copy-protection? If so, I don't see how Apple can be blamed
for the problems.

*   bob church  bchurch@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu                       *
*  If economics isn't an "exact" science why do computers crash    *
*  so much more often than the stock market?                       *
*                                          bc                      *

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (06/08/90)

In article <1419@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU> bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) writes:
>Is copy-protection more prevalent for any type of machine, or does
>it depend more upon the vendor?

Sort of both.  The IIGS's intended usage makes it more appealing for
the software publisher to not use "hard" copy protection (e.g. special
disk formats), but rather to make their products GS/OS compatible and
rely instead upon some form of "soft" protection (e.g. ask the user
what the Mth word from page N of the manual is).  The 8-bit Apple IIs
could be counted on to use Apple Disk II-compatible 5.25" disks, and
since much of the work of interpreting that disk format is done in
software, a common form of copy protection for 8-bit Apple software
involves using special data formats on the 5.25" disks, that normal
DOS 3.3. or ProDOS-8 are unable to cope with.

>I was wandering if Apple's position against copy-protection had made
>a dent.

I don't think so, although pressure from customers appears to have
had some impact.  One of the problems with hardware-based protection
schemes is that the software product often turns out to be unusable
by some customers.  For example, some 3.5" disk protection schemes
have made the product unusable on Apple Unidisk 3.5 drives.  This is
clearly bad for business.  Also, IIGS owners are quite likely to want
to install software on hard disk, and are upset if the copy protection
scheme interferes with doing so.  Even the scheme that looks for the
original ("key") disk in the 3.5" drive but other than that uses the
hard drive-installed copy of the software is too obnoxious to be
tolerated by customers.

Fortunately, there is a journal named "Computist" in which are
published methods of breaking copy protection schemes for products
as people figure out ways to do so.  I've used that information to
install numerous formerly-protected products on my hard disk.  (Yes,
I paid for them all.  I'm not a thief.)

>Another question along the same lines. There is a lot of talk of
>lack of compatibility between different GS rom versions. Is this due
>primarily to copy-protection? If so, I don't see how Apple can be blamed
>for the problems.

While the low-level trickery that some copy protection schemes rely
on can run afoul of hardware or firmware changes, more usually the
problem would have occurred anyway.  The most common cause of such
compatibility problems is the programmer relying on details of how
some feature happens to operate instead of relying only on the usage
that Apple specifies in their technical publications.  When Apple
changes the internal operation of the feature, while preserving the
documented interface, programs that depended on the undocumented
internals suddenly stop working.

There have also been a couple of cases where the documented behavior
has changed in incompatible ways, but that's not as common a problem.