[comp.sys.apple2] Virus s/w for apple2's

lulue@manta.NOSC.MIL (Dan Lulue ) (05/31/90)

Is there any anti virus s/w for the apple2 and GS?  Are there any known
viruses out there specific to those system.  Any pointers would be most
appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Dan Lulue
lulue@nosc.mil

kutcha@clotho.acm.rpi.edu (Phillip Rzewski) (05/31/90)

In article <1106@manta.NOSC.MIL> lulue@manta.NOSC.MIL (Dan Lulue ) writes:
>Is there any anti virus s/w for the apple2 and GS?  Are there any known
>viruses out there specific to those system.  Any pointers would be most
>appreciated.

Yes, there have been some viruses in the history of Apple. Two that
come to mind are "Festering Hate" and the "Lode Runner". I believe there
is a piece of public domain software available that attacks both flavors.
If there is interest from the people here I would be glad to post it.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
:: -Phil Rzewski                        Internet: kutcha@clotho.acm.rpi.edu ::
:: "A man in love is a man possessed."  Bitnet:   USERF3DK@RPITSMTS.BITNET  ::
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

APTC1%MKVAX1.DECNET@MSUS1 (Just searching for reality) (05/31/90)

I can not remember the name of the virus, but there was one on the program from
France called FastCopy GS (or something to that effect).  It would corrupt the
original and the copy.  The program was on a 3.5" disk with a DOS that I had
never seen before.

In article <XM|$*}@rpi.edu> kutcha@clotho.acm.rpi.edu (Phillip Rzewski) writes:
>In article <1106@manta.NOSC.MIL> lulue@manta.NOSC.MIL (Dan Lulue ) writes:
>>Is there any anti virus s/w for the apple2 and GS?  Are there any known
>>viruses out there specific to those system.  Any pointers would be most
>>appreciated.
>
>Yes, there have been some viruses in the history of Apple. Two that
>come to mind are "Festering Hate" and the "Lode Runner". I believe there
>is a piece of public domain software available that attacks both flavors.
>If there is interest from the people here I would be glad to post it.

	I had a virus about 5 years ago... It was called CANCER DOS.
This was back in the 'age' of 5.25"s obviously...

	It's so funny because people make such a big deal about viruses
nowadays, and I had one before most people knew about viruses... (I
don't even know if the term virus had been transferred to this particular
situation... but it probably had)
--
  _    __       __           __       _     /-------------------------------\
 /_\  |__| |    __|(GS) |_| |_  \  / |_|   |    unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu       |

prophet@oxy.edu (Dale Bruce LaFountain) (06/01/90)

I recently downloaded the program in question (I think) from the
University of Michigan.  It is in the pc5 directory, called UT.VIRUSTEST.
From the documentation in the program (in BASIC), it only checks system
files for Prodos 8 applications.

Hope this helps...
Dale
prophet@oxy.edu

jayg@wpi.wpi.edu (Jay Giurleo) (06/08/90)

In article <1429@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU> bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) writes:

> Isn't downloading a program to check for virus's a little counter
>productive? I can't think of a better place to hide one.

 Well... I suppose you must assume that the people responsible for the
system you downloaded the program from were adept at their job... you
could also download TWO different virus detecting programs.. and see if
one detected a virus in the other.

 --
                                     .
                                   .   .