[comp.sys.apple2] Help Connecting Imagewriter I to IBM

jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Desdinova) (05/30/90)

I've been having a heck of a time getting my OriginalWriter :-) to work on
my IBM.  Works fine on my GS, but nothing I do seems to get it to work.
I've tried messing with baud rates, Xon/Xoff, data sizes, switches here there
and everywhere.

It's hooked up to the COM1 serial port, which works fine with the modem (I'm
using a generic 25-25 pin RS232 cable).  The IBM responds with
"Write Fault error writing device COM1".

Any help would be appreciated!

--
Jawaid Bazyar               | This message was posted to thousands of machines
Junior/Computer Engineering | throughout the entire civilized world. It cost

shawn@marilyn.UUCP (Shawn P. Stanley) (06/08/90)

In article <1990May29.201234.20539@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Desdinova) writes:
>It's hooked up to the COM1 serial port, which works fine with the modem (I'm
>using a generic 25-25 pin RS232 cable).  The IBM responds with
>"Write Fault error writing device COM1".

You have to do more than hook it up to the serial port.  I don't use a serial
printer on my 386 system, but if I remember correctly, you have to redirect
the output of PRN (or LPT1) to the serial port.  I imagine this supplies the
appropriate software connection at the interrupt-vector level.
--
Shawn P. Stanley         shawn@marilyn.marilyn.mn.org
bungia!marilyn!shawn     {rosevax,crash}!orbit!marilyn!shawn

barrey@ka.excelan.com (Barrey Jewall) (06/09/90)

In article <43@marilyn.UUCP> shawn@marilyn.UUCP (Shawn P. Stanley) writes:
>In article <1990May29.201234.20539@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Desdinova) writes:
>>It's hooked up to the COM1 serial port, which works fine with the modem (I'm
>>using a generic 25-25 pin RS232 cable).  The IBM responds with
>>"Write Fault error writing device COM1".
>
>You have to do more than hook it up to the serial port.  I don't use a serial
>printer on my 386 system, but if I remember correctly, you have to redirect
>the output of PRN (or LPT1) to the serial port.  I imagine this supplies the
>appropriate software connection at the interrupt-vector level.
>--
>Shawn P. Stanley         shawn@marilyn.marilyn.mn.org
>bungia!marilyn!shawn     {rosevax,crash}!orbit!marilyn!shawn

The commands are as such:

MODE COM1:96,n,8,1,p
MODE COM1=LPT1:

If you need more help with the cable or switch settings, let me know..

Barrey

barrey@novell.COM