[comp.sys.apple2] SHRconvert

Z4616314@SFAUSTIN.BITNET (Z4616314) (05/30/90)

I downloaded the SHRconvert program off the archives at BROWN the other
day for use on a friends GS.  I have access to a lot of GIFs and we
really wanted to convert them to SHR.  However, after I unpacked and tried
to run the porgram it crashed sayong sytem error $004C had occured.

What is this error?  How can it be fixed?

I know very little about the GS and my friend (the owner) knows even less.
I tried to launch the program from ProDos 16 and GSOS 5.02 and got the
same error.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Also, are there any programs out there that will do the reverse
ie. convert SHR pics to GIF format so we can share with our non-apple
friends.  And, are there any simple little programs that will set up a
slide show.

And, how many of the 3200 color pics are floating around and how can I
get them.

Thanks in advance,

B. Scott Mills                                   Apple //  Forever
Bitnet:      <Z4616314@SFAUSTIN.BITNET>
Internet:    <Z4616314%SFAUSTIN.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
ALMOST HEAVEN BBS  (409) 362-2020

scottj@lakesys.lakesys.com (Scott Jakubik) (05/31/90)

	All you have to do is put SHRconvert on a 5 1/4 and it will
work.  I know, I had the same problem.

						C-ya, L8R,
						Scottie
*      Beam me the hell out of here!  *          Scott G. Jakubik           *
*                   Scottie Out...    *          Lakesys: scottj            *
                       *    marque!lakesys!scottj   *
                       *    scottj@lakesys.uucp     *
                       ******************************

mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com (Michael Quinn) (06/01/90)

>convert SHR pics to GIF format...

Yes, SHRconvert 2.1 will do that.  If you can get this thing running (sorry, I
don't know what's wrong with it) and it's version 2.1, it should load AND save
GIF pictures.  Although, SAVING a GIF picture takes about TEN MINUTES!

How much memory does your friends GS have?  It might be possible he doesn't
have enough, although I was under the impression that if you had enough memory
to boot from GS/OS 5.02 that you would have enough to run SHRconvert.  Also,
don't try booting it from Prodos 16 anymore, that's an OLD system disk for the
GS.  GS/OS 5.02, should do everything that prodos 16 does and more.
 ----------------------------
| mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com  |
| Aritst GS+ Magazine        |
 ----------------------------

lbotez@pro-sol.cts.com (Lynda Botez) (06/02/90)

I read somewhere that there is a new SHRconvert in the works.

Anyone know about it?  What are the new functions, if any?

ls

johnmac@fawlty.towers.oz (John MacLean) (06/05/90)

<2943@crash.cts.com> mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com (Michael Quinn) writes:
>>convert SHR pics to GIF format...
>Yes, SHRconvert 2.1 will do that.  If you can get this thing running (sorry, I
>don't know what's wrong with it) and it's version 2.1, it should load AND save
>GIF pictures.  Although, SAVING a GIF picture takes about TEN MINUTES!
                                                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^
Is this really true?
I have only loaded GIF pics through SHRconvert, and that was slow enough.
My GIF drivers for The Graphic Exchange (TGE) can save a GIF picture in about
the same time they can load one (about 20 secs on a stock GS with 3.5" drive).
And this is with multiple (16) palette conversions going on.

I know you cannot get them just yet, but I will be taking a week off work soon
so I can kick some butts at RWP and hopefully get my library disk out.

Stay tuned.
John MacLean.

--
This net: johnmac@fawlty.towers.oz.au                   Phone: +61 2 427 2999
That net: uunet!fawlty.towers.oz.au!johnmac             Fax:   +61 2 427 7072

mcgurrin@MWUNIX.MITRE.ORG (06/07/90)

I'll try saving and see.  I know one difference between SHRConvert and your
current TGE (which I like, and I eagerly await GIF support!) is that
SHRConvert handles images which are larger than a screen (up to a little over
two screens, depending on dimensions, as I recall).  This might account for some
but not the majority, of the difference.  I'd really like to see the ability to
take a high-res GIF picture, e.g., 1024 x 1024, and scale it to fit on a GS
screen.  SHRConvert converts up to it's limits, then truncates the rest.  No
scaling is done.  Will your TGE update be able to scale GIF images like this?

herwin@pro-novapple.cts.com (Harry Erwin) (06/09/90)

Hi, Mike.  I didn't know you hung around this board.  Give me a call.
(758-9660).
Harry Erwin
    proline: pro-novapple!herwin
             gnh-starport!herwin