[comp.sys.apple2] Ultima VI and Origin

neufeld@physics.utoronto.ca (Christopher Neufeld) (06/05/90)

   Well, Origin sent me an answer to the letter I snailed asking for
support of the Apple ][ line of computers for Ultima VI. I got a form
letter which seems to have been written in response to the Apple ][
letter writing campaign. One sentence is "Your astounding letters are
the supreme weapon for conquering the most fiendish foe of all: 'lack of
vision and knowledge.'" The use of the plural form, and that quote which
was definitely not in my letter suggest that they have seen quite a few
Apple ][ owners sending letters.
   More encouraging than this letter was the product catalog they sent
along in the envelope. A chart inside shows availability of Origin
programs for various machines. There are four different entries in the
table. 1) The price of the product  2) Fall 1990  3) Future  4) Shaded
box. Ultima VI has the following entries for the various machines:
IBM-PC: $69.95
][+ ][e ][c ][c+ ][GS: Future
C64 C128: Fall 1990
512 512E Plus SE Mac ][: Shaded box
Amiga 500 1000 2000: Fall 1990
Atari 520ST 1040ST: Shaded box

   So, it looks like we might get Ultima VI for the ][ line eventually,
but certainly not before the fall of this year.
   Keep the letters going to Origin. Don't let them forget that there's
a real market for Ultima VI on the ][ series. After all, Akalabeth began
on the Apple ][, it would be a shame for the descendents of Akalabeth to
ignore the Apple ][.

--
 Christopher Neufeld....Just a graduate student  | He's the kind of person
 neufeld@helios.physics.utoronto.ca              | who'd follow you into a

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (06/07/90)

neufeld@physics.utoronto.ca (Christopher Neufeld) writes:

>][+ ][e ][c ][c+ ][GS: Future

I'd rather see a GS specific version, too. When is Origin or Sierra (both
appear to be hurting for good A// programmers) going to hire Brian Greenstone?

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

In article <1990Jun6.235134.9898@laguna.ccsf.caltech.edu> toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:
>neufeld@physics.utoronto.ca (Christopher Neufeld) writes:
>
>>][+ ][e ][c ][c+ ][GS: Future
>
>I'd rather see a GS specific version, too. When is Origin or Sierra (both
>appear to be hurting for good A// programmers) going to hire Brian Greenstone?

	WRITE WRITE WRITE WRITE!!! And ask for a GS specific version! Hey!
even mention Brian Greenstone.. Maybe they're interested! (and maybe he is
too!)

	When I write, which will probably be next weekend, after finals (i.e.
after 15th), I am going to say that I am still waiting for Ultima V GS...
which is true.. they promised it...

	I will say that a NON GS Apple II version is better than nothing, but
many of their complaints seem to be an "archaic 64K machine" etc etc etc...
Which admittedly has a few valid points..

	But the GS with the more than a meg of memory average (I'd guess)
and superior sound, etc, is easily capable of doing something like this.

	Maybe even mentioning Prince of Persia is a good idea! This game
is from Broderbund.. it's a //e game but it AMAZES the hell out of me..
The animation is better than I've seen in most games, INCLUDING GS specific
games..  I've seen a 3.5" disk hack of it too. (it originally comes on 5.25"
disks)

 	I can't find the address to write to right now, someone else will
probably post it..
--
  _    __       __           __       _     /-------------------------------\
 /_\  |__| |    __|(GS) |_| |_  \  / |_|   |    unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu       |

orcus@pro-lep.cts.com (Brian Greenstone) (06/09/90)

I thank you for your kind comments about my programming abilities on the IIgs,
but unfortunately I don't think that Origin has any desire to do Ultima for
the IIgs specifically.  I met with Origin about 2 months ago for an informal
job interview, and for the 1 1/2 hours I was there, they continuously ragged
on the IIgs and mocked me - I felt like a peon.  They only wanted me to do
Nintendo or IBM games, not one damn line of code for the GS.

-Brian
_____

UUCP: crash!pro-lep!orcus
ARPA: crash!pro-lep!orcus@nosc.mil