[comp.sys.apple2] TransWarp II, TransWarp III

sb@pro-generic.cts.com (Stephen Brown) (06/05/90)

I have heard that AE has discontinued both these products recently. Can anyone
confirm? And if so, is it to do with the patent infringement suit between B&P
and Zip?

I might add (...why not?) that my RocketChip 10 (just acquired) is MOST
impressive. What a way to inject new life into an old implementation of Apple
II technology...! RC10's (or equiv) should be standard equipment, or at least
part of an enhancement kit...

Stephen Brown (Willowdale, Ontario, CANADA)

UUCP: crash!pro-generic!sb
ARPA: crash!pro-generic!sb@nosc.mil
INET: sb@pro-generic.cts.com

rankins@argentina.crd.ge.com (raymond r rankins) (06/08/90)

In article <432.infoapple.net@pro-generic> sb@pro-generic.cts.com (Stephen Brown) writes:
>I have heard that AE has discontinued both these products recently. Can anyone
>confirm? And if so, is it to do with the patent infringement suit between B&P
>and Zip?

The following is a copy of a letter AE recently sent out.  It looks as thought Zip doesn't want anyone but themselves selling accelerators for the Apple II's.  Got to love their spirit of free enterprise.(sarcasm here).  Anyone know what the basis for the following letter is?  I thought AE had reworked the TWIII to avoid and problems with ZIP.

-------------------------------------

    Dear Valued Dealer,

    Thank you for your recent order(s) for the Transwarp II or III.
    Unfortunately, AE has discontinued both of these products.  If you
    would like, a similar product is available from Zip Technology.  Zip
    makes a product called the Zip Chip.  The Zip Chip ordinarily sells
    for $150 US but we have arranged a special discount for our customers.
    You may order the Zip Chip directly from Zip Technology.

    [Address info deleted]

    We appreciate your order and we are sorry that we cannot fill it
    ourselves.  We hope the arrangements we have made with Zip are to your
    satisfaction.  Of course AE still offers a wide range of products and
    we hope that we have the ooportunity to serve you in the near future.

    Very truly yours,
    Robert J. Carrol President and CEO Applied Engineering

--------------------------------------

Ray

--
Ray Rankins          |(518) 387-7340 | INTERNET: rankins@argentina.crd.ge.com
2 Moonglow Rd.       |(518) 583-3320 | COMPUSERVE: 71131,3236

jerryk@pro-tcc.cts.com (Jerry E. Kindall) (06/10/90)

AE's decision to drop the TransWarp III has nothing to do with any pressure
from Zip.  They simply decided that it wouldn't make them any money.  After
all, the Zip Chip is cheaper and just as fast.  The market for IIe
accelerators is very limited these days.
   _____
  ||___||  Jerry Kindall               |  Internet: jerryk@pro-tcc.cts.com
  |  o  |  1139 Maryland               |  UUCP:     nosc!crash!pro-tcc!jerryk
  |__O__|  Grosse Pointe, MI  48230    |  GEnie: A2.JERRY     ALine: A2 Jerry