[comp.sys.apple2] memory tester

brent@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Brent Johnson) (05/26/90)

The Apple IIe and IIGS already have a ram test built in - when you reset, hit
Control - Open Apple  - Solid Apple and Reset - just like a warm boot - it
will check the system ram and roms.

UUCP: {amdahl!bungia, uunet!rosevax, crash}!orbit!pnet51!brent
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!brent@nosc.mil
INET: brent@pnet51.orb.mn.org

TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL (06/13/90)

One of my GS's just showed up with error 9010001 on the self test.
(that may explain some erratic results.)  My dealer says that is a
memory error diagnostic.  (Why the errors aren't listed in the hw or fw
books escapes me.)  Is there a public domain memory tester available
from one of the ftp archive sistes that might help narrow it down?  (I
tried finding a refernce to one in the last couple thousand messages,
but couldn't.  And the last I looked, I couldn't find any up-to-date

TMPLee@dockmaster.ncsc.mil

wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (06/13/90)

In article <900613004828.995728@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL> TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL writes:

> One of my GS's just showed up with error 9010001 on the self test.

According to some docs that someone at Apple posted here months and months
ago, the 9 means that test that failed is the Front Desk Bus test.  The next
4 digits (0100) are supposed to be the bad checksum, however the last 01 means
that "FDB toolcode encountered a fatal error and no checksum computed."  From
my experience, this is the same problem as the oft-discussed 911 System Failure
wherein the ADB fails to resync (or some such) and is usually caused by high
temperatures.  I don't think a memory tester will do you much good with this
problem; a cooling fan might.
--
Scott Lindsey     | I dig iguana in their outer space duds
Claris Corp.      |    saying, "Aren't you glad we only eat bugs?"

throoph@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Henry Throop) (06/13/90)

In article <900613004828.995728@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL> TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL writes:
>One of my GS's just showed up with error 9010001 on the self test.
>(that may explain some erratic results.)  My dealer says that is a
>memory error diagnostic.

It's not a memory error, it's a problem with the ADB system.  Try
replacing your mouse or keyboard and see if that fixes the problem.

>(Why the errors aren't listed in the hw or fw
>books escapes me.)

This information is available in Michael Fischer's _IIgs Technical Reference_,
which is pretty much outdated, but has some material not covered elsewhere.

Henry

---
Henry Throop
Internet: throoph@jacobs.cs.orst.edu