[comp.sys.apple2] GS Sauce card from Harris Labs

dwayne@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (06/09/90)

has anyone here had any experience with the GS Sauce card from Harris Labs?
It apparantly uses 1 meg simms modules and holds up to 4 meg on the board.  The
board can be purchased with 256k on it for about $65 and then shopping for
inexpensive simms would be a great way to bump up memory on a GS.  Any
comments?

thanks,
dwayne

dwayne@vaxa.acs.unt.edu

stgeorge@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Steve George) (06/10/90)

I've had one for about 4 months now and its great.  Bought the card empty and
populated it with 80ns "Fast Page" mac-style SIMMs.  After educating about 6
mailorder companies that there is such a product (the IIGS) most couldn't
believe that ANY Apple II computer could possibly use SIMMs, let along Fast
Page ones.  Not a single dealer I called (out of the back of MacLeak) had EVER
heard of a IIGS!

Its full at 4 Megs and resides in the front slot of a Checkmate Memory Saver.
The (default) 6 AA nicads keep it powered just over 3 hours.  In comparison,
the nicads lasted about2 when the MS contained 1 Apple 1 Meg cards.

So far only one program has choked on it, but the upgrade solved that.  (AW
2.0/1? gave the bogus numbers of having a desktop of 6+ Megs, and promptly
died into the monitor.  AW 3.0 lives happily with it.)

And, does the machine ever run cooler now!  :)   The SIMMS don't get much over
slightly-warm to the touch if that.

Got mine from a very knowledgeable fella at KAT, 8423 W 89th St., Overland
Park, KS 66212-3039   (913) 642-4611  Tell him I sent ya.  (No association
except as a satisfied customer.)

uucp: crash!orbit!pnet51!stgeorge
arpa: crash!orbit!pnet51!stgeorge@nosc.mil
inet: stgeorge@pnet51.cts.com

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (06/12/90)

In article <2654@orbit.cts.com> stgeorge@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Steve George) writes:
>Its full at 4 Megs and resides in the front slot of a Checkmate Memory Saver.

Another widely used SIMM-based Apple IIGS memory expansion card is
MDIdeas' OctoRAM, which accommodates up to 8 each either 256KB or 1MB SIMMs,
in powers of two.  If populated with no more than 4 SIMMs, the OctoRAM
appears to be DMA compatible, and if fully populated with 1MB SIMMs for a
total of 8MB it does work with the Apple High-Speed SCSI Card, which
doesn't use DMA when accessing the upper 4MB of RAM.  (If fully populated
with 256KB SIMMs, for a total of 2MB, there seem to be DMA problems with
the upper 1MB.)

mek4_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Mark Kern) (06/13/90)

In article <13084@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>In article <2654@orbit.cts.com> stgeorge@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Steve George) writes:
>>Its full at 4 Megs and resides in the front slot of a Checkmate Memory Saver.
>
>Another widely used SIMM-based Apple IIGS memory expansion card is
>MDIdeas' OctoRAM, which accommodates up to 8 each either 256KB or 1MB SIMMs,
>in powers of two.

	Yep. Too bad the OctoRam is no longer being made or sold. I'm
trying to get a hold of one of these cards (0K). I followed up several
rumors, but none of the mail-order houses carry it and the designer of
the card has the plans for the Octoram for sale now. He's trying to
find someone to manufacture the OctoRam once again. I hope a company
picks up the design, it would solve my problems. :)

Mark Kern

   Mark Edward Kern, mek4_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu  A.Online: Markus
      Quagmire Studios U.S.A. "We not only hear you, we feel you !"

larrylro@gnh-applesauce.cts.com (Larry LRO) (06/14/90)

We have been selling the GS-Sauce Simm board for the past 4 months and are
pleased with its performence. I have yet to hear whether it works on the Ram
Keeper, but in all other instances the product performs flawlessly.

Larry - LRO Computer Sales