[comp.sys.apple2] Wavy Apple IIc Monitor

sharonc@mead.UUCP (Sharon Crichton) (06/11/90)

I just recently 'quired my brother's Apple IIc for a year (he's in
Japan). His monitor - standard 9"(?) IIc monitor - has some problems
that I need to get fixed.

The right side of the screen is overly bright and cannot be dimmed,
unless you turn the brightness down so low that nothing else can be
read on the left side. The lines written on the screen keep
shifting back and forth, in a wave from bottom to top, and some of
the lines are smaller than normal while others are stretched out.

I think the problem is that the electron beam generator is out of
whack, but my question is - can this be fixed? If so, am I going to
shell out big bucks to an Apple dealer to get it fixed? Would it be
cheaper to buy another monitor/Can I even get another monitor?

Please reply via E-mail, I don't want to clutter up the net with
posts.

Sharon Crichton                                CE Systems Evolution
Mead Data Central                              sharonc@mead.UUCP
P.O. Box 933
Dayton, OH 45401
    "There's always something cleverer than yourself." - Merlin

rat@madnix.UUCP (David Douthitt) (06/13/90)

sharonc@mead.UUCP (Sharon Crichton) writes:

| His monitor - standard 9"(?) IIc monitor - has some problems...

| The right side of the screen is overly bright and cannot be dimmed,
| unless you turn the brightness down so low that nothing else can be
| read on the left side. The lines written on the screen keep
| shifting back and forth, in a wave from bottom to top, and some of
| the lines are smaller than normal while others are stretched out.

I have the *EXACT* same problem... *EXACTLY*.  Can anyone tell if its
fixable?  It seems that if I fudge the connection between the video
cable and the Apple, I can get "The Wave" to go away.  After it's been
on a while, the left side brightens up to (almost) match the right.

It is a IIc, too.  Send me a copy of whatever EMail goes out, if you
would be so kind.  Thanks.

	[david]

--
! InterNet: madnix!rat@cs.wisc.edu              !  David Douthitt
!     UUCP: ...uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!rat !  Madison, Wisconsin

henrym@pro-houston.cts.com (Henry Malmagren) (06/15/90)

Heres a third person who has had this problem.  Every time I've taken my //c
in to have it fixed, the service people insist that there is nothing wrong
with my machine.  I can get it to go away for a while by replacing the cable,
but it always comes back.  I've found that holding the cable in certain
positions helps, but not much.  I'd appreciate a copy of any E-Mail that you
might get about this matter.  Thanks a bunch.

UUCP: crash!pro-houston!henrym
ARPA: crash!pro-houston!henrym@nosc.mil
INET: henrym@pro-houston.cts.com

tomk@pro-sol.cts.com (Tom Kelly) (06/15/90)

I am not sure if it will help, but you might try a double shielded coax cable.
That is the type that would be used for dubbing with steros and VCRs.
I am guessing that you are using a composite monitor (using RCA plugs).
I hope this helps.