[comp.sys.apple2] Applenet BBS

Z4616314@SFAUSTIN.BITNET (Z4616314) (06/15/90)

I recently dloaded the Applenet BBS off of the archives at BROWN.

Does anyone know how to make the thing work on a //c.  I have been
unable to make the thing work and I assume that it is because I do not
have a true serial card with the ring detect, carrier detect etc.

The program will run flawless with respect to local logons etc but
it will not answer the phone.  Is there a fix?  Is there a //c
driver that maybe looks for the modem result codes?

Does anyone know if the author has an internet address?

Also can anyone suggest a good or better bbs prog that will run
on the //c.  Obviously price is consideration thats why I am looking
at Applenet.

Any help will be greatly appreciated,

B. Scott Mills                                   Apple //  Forever
Bitnet:      <Z4616314@SFAUSTIN.BITNET>
Internet:    <Z4616314%SFAUSTIN.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
ALMOST HEAVEN BBS  (409) 362-2020

king@motcid.UUCP (Steven King) (06/15/90)

In article <900615.00362365.050313@SFA.CP6> Z4616314@SFAUSTIN.BITNET (Z4616314) writes:
>I recently dloaded the Applenet BBS off of the archives at BROWN.
>[...]
>The program will run flawless with respect to local logons etc but
>it will not answer the phone.  Is there a fix?  Is there a //c
>driver that maybe looks for the modem result codes?

The docs allude to (but don't clearly state) the fact that the ModemWorks
and AmperWorks bundled with AppleNet are NON-FUNCTIONAL demo versions.
You need to shell out $60 to Morgan Davis for the real thing in order
to make it work.  (Note: To the best of my knowledge, Morgan has no
connection with the author of AppleNet.  He just wrote the drivers on which
AppleNet is based.)

A caveat, before you get out your checkbook.  I did this only to find that
AppleWorks is based on an OLDER VERSION of {Modem,Amper}Works than Morgan
is currently selling.  There are a few incompatibilities that I have yet to
iron out.  I think AppleNet makes use of some "undocument features" of
the older drivers which were removed in the new release.

You may still be SOL though.  I seem to recall that the //c is utterly
unsupported due to its inadequate serial port.  I may be wrong about this.
I have a //e and tend to flush the buffers of //c and //gs trivia. :-)

--
Never hold down the 'k' key.  It tends to put a    | Steve King  (708) 991-8056