[comp.sys.apple2] DMA & GS-Ram

carpentr@serss0.fiu.edu (Ralph P Carpenter) (06/15/90)

Doug,

In article <13116@smoke.BRL.MIL> you write:
>In article <862@kluge.fiu.edu> carpentr@serss0.fiu.edu (Ralph P Carpenter) writes:
>>	ProFiles need some extra warmup time first thing in the
				 ~~~~~~
>>morning, so expect to have to turn yours on about five minutes before
>>you power the CPU.
>
>While this might be useful, I never had any warmup problems with my
>5MB ProFILE.  However, when you power on the ProFILE its internal
>controller does take something like 90 seconds to scan the disk for
>bad blocks and remap them, at least I assume that's what it's doing.
>The ready light blinks until that process is complete, at which time
>it begins to glow steadily.

	Mea culpa; a better word would have been "startup."  Our 10M
takes a while to come to ready status, and rather than watch the
sliding Apple, we just leave the CPU off until then.

	BTW, earlier this week I upgraded my GS with a TransWarpGS
v1.5 and a Hi-Speed/DMA SCSI card, and've been having no end of
trouble trying to sort out what has since been randomly crashing the
system. I've just read another posting of yours about DMA problems
with older GS-Ram cards, and since my GS-Ram is about two years old,
I'm now suspicious of it, and want to check it out tomorrow (and call
AE).  Do you have any more info on how to distinguish a problem GS-Ram
besides flicking the DMA switch on the SCSI board?

					Ralpho
--
|  Ralph P Carpenter      | InterNet: Ralpho@acc.fau.edu     | Blake's 7:  |
|  Sr Programmer/Analyst  |           CarpentR@SerVax.Bitnet |   The       |

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (06/16/90)

In article <865@kluge.fiu.edu> carpentr@serss0.fiu.edu (Ralph P Carpenter) writes:
>Do you have any more info on how to distinguish a problem GS-Ram
>besides flicking the DMA switch on the SCSI board?

I don't, but perhaps some other reader does.  (Probably some patch wiring
exists on the DMA-comp0atible GS-RAM, or something like that.)

If the system works solidly with the DMA switch off, and reliably flakes
out with it on, that's pretty good proof of a DMA-related problem..