[comp.sys.apple2] America Online mail

wogg0743@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (06/12/90)

How does someone send mail to an America Online address?  Is there a way?

bill gulstad

paulh@nuchat.UUCP (Paul Hutmacher) (06/13/90)

In article <139800011@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> wogg0743@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>How does someone send mail to an America Online address?  Is there a way?

From what I understand it cannot be done.  There is no gateway between AO
and the rest of the net world.
--
Paul Hutmacher   |       paulh@nuchat.UUCP       |Sometimes the only thing a
P.O. Box 66046   | {texbell, uunet}!nuchat!paulh |western savage understands

gt0t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Gregory Ross Thompson) (06/14/90)

paulh@nuchat.UUCP (Paul Hutmacher) writes:
> In article <139800011@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> wogg0743@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>
> >How does someone send mail to an America Online address?  Is there a way?
>
> From what I understand it cannot be done.  There is no gateway between AO
> and the rest of the net world.

  I thought that sending mail to <user> on AO was as simple as:

<user>@applelink.apple.com

  Does that not work anymore?

		-Greg T.

skar@plains.UUCP (Rowdy Roddy ) (06/14/90)

In article <saRjUlO00WB38BZYZN@andrew.cmu.edu> gt0t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Gregory Ross Thompson) writes:

>  I thought that sending mail to <user> on AO was as simple as:
>
><user>@applelink.apple.com

Sending mail to this address will go to Apple's Corporate
applelink...but America Online is not the same...
There is no gateway that I'm aware of....
--
Keith M. Skar aka Rowdy Roddy                D I S C L A I M E R:
Internet:      skar@plains.nodak.edu

seah@ee.rochester.edu (David Seah) (06/14/90)

In article <saRjUlO00WB38BZYZN@andrew.cmu.edu> gt0t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Gregory Ross Thompson) writes:
>paulh@nuchat.UUCP (Paul Hutmacher) writes:
>> From what I understand it cannot be done.  There is no gateway between AO
>> and the rest of the net world.
>
>  I thought that sending mail to <user> on AO was as simple as:
>
><user>@applelink.apple.com

Nope. AppleLink and America Online are -=*NOT*=- the same thing.
America Online used to be that service known as AppleLink: Personal Edition.
AppleLink, the Apple dealer info network, existed before, and is completely
independent of ALPE/America Online.  America Online is operated by Quantum.

Why the name change?  I guess after Apple pulled out of AO (conflict of
management styles with Quantum?), they had to change the name.  Apple's
presence is not missed, except as the donator of cool hardware prizes :-)

--
Dave Seah |       Omnidyne Systems-M         | INET: seah@ee.rochester.edu
          | "User-Friendly Killing Machines" | America Online: AFC DaveS

daveharv@pro-novapple.cts.com (Dave Harvey) (06/16/90)

America Online and Applelink are not the same systems.  Applelink is Apple's
own internal system and available to dealers, user groups and developers.
America Online is not sponsored by Apple and is run by Quantium Services in
McLean, VA.  They also run a similiar service for Commodore computers.

proline: pro-novapple!daveharv                    |
uucp: crash!pnet01!pro-novapple!daveharv          |   Pro-novapple BBS
arpa: crash!pnet01!pro-novapple!daveharv@nosc.mil |  300/1200/2400/9600 Baud
Internet: daveharv@pro-novapple.cts.com           |    703-671-0416

Northern Virginia Apple Users Group               |
P.O. Box 8211, Falls Church, VA 22041             |