[comp.sys.apple2] Apple Profile hard drive

pirmann@aramis.rutgers.edu (Dave Pirmann) (06/13/90)

Question:  I have an Apple Profile hard drive which I'd like to use
with my Apple II gs (rom 01 if it makes a difference).  The drive was
given to me, and I know nothing about it.  What interface do I need?
What software do I need to format it?  Is it GS/OS 5.02 compatible?
And would you have a clue as to how large it might be capacity-wise?

Thanks in advance,
Dave
David Pirmann
pirmann@rutgers.edu
Rutgers University LCSR Operations

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (06/14/90)

In article <Jun.12.22.34.22.1990.16149@aramis.rutgers.edu> pirmann@aramis.rutgers.edu (Dave Pirmann) writes:
>Question:  I have an Apple Profile hard drive which I'd like to use
>with my Apple II gs (rom 01 if it makes a difference).  The drive was
>given to me, and I know nothing about it.  What interface do I need?
>What software do I need to format it?  Is it GS/OS 5.02 compatible?
>And would you have a clue as to how large it might be capacity-wise?

You need an Apple II ProFILE Interface card and a 25-conductor DB25 cable.
Assuming it is properly low-level formatted, you can init it using the
normal OS facilities.  ProFILEs do work with ProDOS-8 and GS/OS (all
versions); no extra driver is needed because one is generated at boot
time.  There were both 5MB and 10MB models of the ProFILE.

carpentr@serss0.fiu.edu (Ralph P Carpenter) (06/14/90)

In article <13108@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>In article <Jun.12.22.34.22.1990.16149@aramis.rutgers.edu> pirmann@aramis.rutgers.edu (Dave Pirmann) writes:
>>Question:  I have an Apple Profile hard drive which I'd like to use
>>with my Apple II gs (rom 01 if it makes a difference).  The drive was
>>given to me, and I know nothing about it.  What interface do I need?
>>What software do I need to format it?  Is it GS/OS 5.02 compatible?
>>And would you have a clue as to how large it might be capacity-wise?
>
>You need an Apple II ProFILE Interface card and a 25-conductor DB25 cable.
>Assuming it is properly low-level formatted, you can init it using the
>normal OS facilities.  ProFILEs do work with ProDOS-8 and GS/OS (all
>versions); no extra driver is needed because one is generated at boot
>time.  There were both 5MB and 10MB models of the ProFILE.

	We've had both a 10meg and a 5meg ProFile running
simultaneously off one ROM 01 GS with perfect reliability for about a
year so far.

	The Interface Card must have ROM Rev. B (1984) and needs a
particular jumper installed on the back (anti-IC) side.  Our two 5meg
ProFiles have PN A9M0005; the 10meg has PN A9M0100.  Check the rear
plate on yours.

	As Doug says, standard utilities (Finder, CopyIIplus, etc.)
can do the regular formatting just dandy, but if you want/need to
low-level format your ProFile (say to change the interleave), the only
such utility that we've ever seen runs ONLY on an Apple /// (yes,
THREE).  Our local dealer keeps a /// on hand specifically for this.

	ProFiles need some extra warmup time first thing in the
morning, so expect to have to turn yours on about five minutes before
you power the CPU.

--
|  Ralph P Carpenter      | InterNet: Ralpho@acc.fau.edu     | Blake's 7:  |
|  Sr Programmer/Analyst  |           CarpentR@SerVax.Bitnet |   The       |

edward@pro-harvest.cts.com (Edward Floden) (06/14/90)

> What interface do I need?
  A ProFile interface card. A ProFile isn't a SCSI drive.

> What software do I need to format it?
  Any ProDOS formatter will do, but you can only do a high-level format. To do
  a low-level format, you need hardware. Specifically, a Lisa (no kidding!).

> Is it GS/OS 5.02 [sic] compatible?
  Yes. It's just another ProDOS device.

> ...how large it might be capacity-wise?
  Look at the label on the bottom of the drive. If the model number ends with
  a '5', it's a five-megabyte model. If the number ends in '100', it's a
  ten-megabyte model.

UUCP: crash!pro-harvest!edward                  ProLine: edward@pro-harvest
ARPA: crash!pro-harvest!edward@nosc.mil      CIS: 73220.1624@compuserve.com
INET: edward@pro-harvest.cts.com                   America Online: EdwardF4
BITNET: edward%pro-harvest.cts.com@nosc.mil                 GEnie: E.FLODEN

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (06/15/90)

In article <862@kluge.fiu.edu> carpentr@serss0.fiu.edu (Ralph P Carpenter) writes:
>	The Interface Card must have ROM Rev. B (1984) and needs a
>particular jumper installed on the back (anti-IC) side.

Oops, I had forgotten to mention that.  The jumper is just to provide a
good ground path, but it is needed to improve the noise immunity.

>	ProFiles need some extra warmup time first thing in the
>morning, so expect to have to turn yours on about five minutes before
>you power the CPU.

While this might be useful, I never had any warmup problems with my
5MB ProFILE.  However, when you power on the ProFILE its internal
controller does take something like 90 seconds to scan the disk for
bad blocks and remap them, at least I assume that's what it's doing.
The ready light blinks until that process is complete, at which time
it begins to glow steadily.

barrey@ka.excelan.com (Barrey Jewall) (06/15/90)

In article <9075.apple.net.info-apple@pro-harvest> edward@pro-harvest.cts.com (Edward Floden) writes:

>> What software do I need to format it?
>  Any ProDOS formatter will do, but you can only do a high-level format. To do
>  a low-level format, you need hardware. Specifically, a Lisa (no kidding!).

Actually, You can do a low-level format of a ProFile (tm) with an Apple ///, and
a program supplied to dealers for just such a purpose.

Of course, If you happen to have a Lisa (tm) around the house, you could use it,
also...

You will probably find that a low-level format is unneccessary, however...

Good Luck.
Barrey

+================================================================+
+    San Francisco Giants - 7 1/2 Games Back and Gaining !!      +
+					Hummmm Baby!!!           +
+ Barrey Jewall                 ++ "My opinions are my opinions" +
+ barrey@novell.com	        ++ (rather self-evident, eh?)    +
+ Novell, Inc.- San Jose, Calif.++				 +

edward@pro-harvest.cts.com (Edward Floden) (06/24/90)

> What drive is it exactly?, I have a profile card but no drive..

Good question. I've never opened up the case on one. I'll need to ask the
hardware department at work.