[comp.sys.apple2] ROM 03 firmware problem...

gerardo@island.seas.ucla.edu (Gerardo Chaves) (06/12/90)

I have ran into something that I hope is not an incompatibility problem
with the ROM 03 IIGS machines. I use TML Pascal II to write games for
handicapped children and in order to use the TouchWindow (tm) I have to
read values from the jostick port. To accomplish this I have been using
a toolbox call to FWEntry to access the routine PREAD (at $FB1E). I works
fine on the ROM 01 machines but does nothing on the ROM 03's. I went into
the monitor (yes, after booting with GS/OS) on both machines and the
information at 00/FB1E is different. I couldn't find an explanation for
this in any manual although I don't really have anything on the ROM 03's
that could contain warnings about using these routines.
   Anybody out there with the same problem?? Any help would be greatly
   appreciated.

			Gerardo Chaves
			Programmer, UCLA Intervention Program
			gerardo@island.seas.ucla.edu
			AppleLink: CG0953
			America Online: Reindzerm

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (06/27/90)

In article <756@lee.SEAS.UCLA.EDU> gerardo@island.seas.ucla.edu (Gerardo Chaves) writes:
>I have ran into something that I hope is not an incompatibility problem
>with the ROM 03 IIGS machines. I use TML Pascal II to write games for
>handicapped children and in order to use the TouchWindow (tm) I have to
>read values from the jostick port. To accomplish this I have been using
>a toolbox call to FWEntry to access the routine PREAD (at $FB1E). I works
>fine on the ROM 01 machines but does nothing on the ROM 03's. I went into
>the monitor (yes, after booting with GS/OS) on both machines and the
>information at 00/FB1E is different.

$FB1E is still a supported entry point, as you can demonstrate by using
the PDL() function in Applesoft.  I don't know why it's not working for
you--post or email me some code, and I'll give it a try on my ROM 03
machine at work.

When you looked at $00/FB1E, you were looking at bank-switched "language
card" RAM, *not* at the ROM.  To see the firmware in the monitor, you have
to look in bank $FF, even though a running program normally sees firmware
in bank 0, $D000-FFFF.
--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II Developer Technical Support      |   P.O. Box 875

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.