[comp.sys.apple2] Desktop Publishing on a ][/e

garym@pro-fishuntcts.com (Gary McClain) (06/23/90)

>Questions about desktop publishing on IIEs and access to this newsgroup.

PublishIt by timeworks is to Apple II desktop publishing what AppleWorks is to
Apple integrated software. It does an excellent job, now supports Postscript
printers and is not at all hard to learn. Good manual and frequent updates,
plenty of artwork, templates and fonts available.

One drawback. Is a bit slow at 1mz. At 4mz it's quit respectable. 1 3.5"
drive or 2 5.24" drives or a hard disk highly recomended. IIe must be enhanced
and have at least 128K. InCider/A+ magazine has a regular monthly column on
using PublishIt! You can even order templates by mail.

If you have a modem and communications program for your Apple you should be
able to access this newsgroup through one of the following ProLine BBS's.
pro-smof         512/836-7663   Austin  TX
pro-party         512/882-1899  Corpus Christi TX
pro-lep         512/288-2114    Austin  TX
pro-ablilink    915/673-6856    Abiline TX

 ProLine: garym@pro-fishunt
Internet: garym@pro-fishunt.cts.com
    UUCP: crash!pro-fishunt!garym

warlock@pro-harvest.cts.com (Jamie Coe) (06/27/90)

1) over a null modem cable or the modem. or via Apple File Exchange on the Mac
and a 3.5" drive on the ][e.
2) using Publish^It!3
3) I don't know... I don't usually need books on that sort of thing.
4) Publishit!3
5) Use your computer to dial in to your UNIX computer.
                                Jamie de ProLine: crash!warlock@pro-harvest
                                      de Palnet: ddsw1!vpnet!palnet!warlock
                                      de Apple Tree BBS (708/597-6942): #55
                                      de Fax: 708/597-4797
                                      de Work: 708/389-7744
                                               Attn: Technical Manager
                                               Digital Data Express
                                               13636 S. Western Ave.
                                               Blue Island, IL 60406

avery@well.sf.ca.us (Avery Ray Colter) (06/29/90)

eyles@moot.cad.mcc.com (Joe Eyles) writes:

>1) How do I get from ][/e to a Mac?

I assume you're talking connectivity here? If so, the //e needs a
super serial card, and then one can connect the two through their
serial ports. If you're looking at more than two machines communicating,
it sounds like you're looking at Appletalk.

>2) How do I get from a ][/e to a laser printer ?

Again, serial port for direct-connect, or Appletalk.

>3) What are good reading materials for this sort
>   of application?

Not sure what in particular you mean.

>4) Do you know of any good Desktop Publishing programs for
>   an apple ][/e?

Publish It 3.0 is a name I've been hearing recently.
GEOS from Berkeley Softworks also has laser print capability
(but only direct-connect)

>5) Whats the best way to get an apple connected to this newsgroup ?
>   Presently I'm using a sun 4/110 and type rn into a UNIX shell.
>   System Administrators did the rest.

I'm on a GS right now and connected through the WELL.

Pubnets can be a good way to connect to usenet through a personal
computer. Some, like the WELL, charge by the hour of usage however.
:
--
Avery Ray Colter    Internet: avery@well.sf.ca.us | {apple|hplabs}!well!avery
     o/~ Mama, mama, mama, keep those skinny girls at home,