[comp.sys.apple2] Claris

wombat@ClarisII.claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (06/30/90)

MOVED OVER BUSINESS WIRE AT 8:31 AM, EDT, FRIDAY, JUNE 29, 1990.

Contacts:

Barbara Krause or Christopher Escher
Apple Computer
(408) 974-3719 and (408) 974-2202

Steve Ruddock,
Pubic Relations Manager
Claris Corporation
(408) 987-7202

CLARIS TO FOCUS ON EXPANDING APPLE SOFTWARE ENVIRONMENT;  WILL REMAIN APPLE
SUBSIDIARY

CUPERTINO--June 29, 1990--Apple Computer, Inc. today announced that Claris
Corporation will become a wholly owned, independent subsidiary of Apple.

Claris, which develops and markets popular applications software for Apple's
Macintosh and Apple II personal computers, has operated as a majority-owned
subsidiary of the company since April 1987 when Apple "spun off" its
applications software efforts, creating Claris.  At that time, Apple retained
the option of allowing Claris to become a publicly-owned separate company or to
fully acquire the company.

"Software will increasingly become the factor which shapes competitive
advantage in the 1990's," said John Sculley, Apple's chairman and CEO.  "With
that in mind, we have established a new expanded role for Claris which will
become an important foundation for Apple in the future."

According to Sculley, Claris will now focus its efforts on three major areas:

-  Continued development and marketing of flagship applications.

-  Development and marketing of extensions to Apple's system software which
will enrich Apple's software development environment and promote the creation
of innovative Macintosh applications.  Apple will continue to develop its own
core   system software.

-  Development and marketing of products which bridge Macintosh with other
   computing environments so Apple advantages will work in multi-vendor
   configurations.

According to Sculley, these last two added roles for Claris will greatly assist
other software developers in better utilizing Macintosh technologies to
differentiate themselves and develop successful new products.  Claris will be
aggressive in their approach, including consideration of licensing some
technologies to software developers for incorporation in new applications.

"Apple's goal is to significantly increase our unit growth," said Sculley.
"Developers should view our decision on Claris as a key indicator that Apple is
very serious about this goal, and in differentiating our products through
innovative technology in the years ahead,"  he said.

"Claris has exceeded our expectations in establishing an independent brand
identity and a competitive presence in the applications software business.
While its spin off market value would certainly be considerable, Claris has
greater strategic value for Apple shareholders by remaining part of Apple,"
said Sculley.

Claris will remain an independent entity, maintaining separate facilities and
personnel.  William V. Campbell will continue as CEO of Claris.  He will now
report to Sculley.

"The Claris team has created a company of spirit and achievement, which has
resulted in great products of great value for Macintosh users," said Sculley.
"Apple will respect Claris' independence so that its culture -- which has led
to such positive results -- will continue to thrive."

-30-

Apple, the Apple logo and Macintosh are registered trademarks of Apple
Computer, Inc.

asd@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) (06/30/90)

In article <wombat.646682282@ClarisII> wombat@ClarisII.claris.com (Scott Lindsey) writes:

>CLARIS TO FOCUS ON EXPANDING APPLE SOFTWARE ENVIRONMENT;  WILL REMAIN APPLE
>SUBSIDIARY
>
>CUPERTINO--June 29, 1990--Apple Computer, Inc. today announced that Claris
>Corporation will become a wholly owned, independent subsidiary of Apple.
>
>Claris, which develops and markets popular applications software for Apple's
>Macintosh and Apple II personal computers, has operated as a majority-owned
               ^^^^^^^^
Remember this!

>According to Sculley, Claris will now focus its efforts on three major areas:
>
>[skip one]
>-  Development and marketing of extensions to Apple's system software which
>will enrich Apple's software development environment and promote the creation
>of innovative Macintosh applications.  Apple will continue to develop its own
               ^^^^^^^^^
Gosh, don't they sell Apple II stuff too?

>[tons more garbage deleted]

>"The Claris team has created a company of spirit and achievement, which has
>resulted in great products of great value for Macintosh users," said Sculley.
                                               ^^^^^^^^^
Alright!  Way to go Sculley!  Your talent at continually forgetting to
mention the AppleII linen is once again amazingly apparent, and in no
danger of disappearing.

Well, I'll be the first to say it, or at least the first to see it here!

Bravo Apple!  You got AppleII mentioned once!  I say everybody should
send the press relations folks at Apple some sincere letters of thanks
and gratitude at mentioning us!  Your continued dedication and apparent
support for the AppleII line is just truly amazing!  With this kind of
obvious support for that product division, it just makes me want to go
out and buy some stock in the company!  I say again, Bravo Apple!

-k

ps. if you believe that last paragraph, I've got an ole pdp-10 that runs
faster than a Cray XMP for sale, price negotiable.