[comp.sys.apple2] UPGRADES

crew@pro-harvest.cts.com (Chris Wicklein) (06/25/90)

   Well, Joe... the best way to go from a //e --> Mac is to sell the //e to
someone who can use it, then buy a Mac through a U. If you are asking about an
upgrade policy or anything of that nature, I doubt there is one.
   The Apple //e is (I think) fully able to use many laser printers, from
Apple (LaserWriter), and HP (LaserJets). There is however a lack of s-ware and
drivers.
   There are some DTP packages for the //e, including geoPublish, Publish It!,
and Springboard Publisher.
   My favorite way to connect to Internet is by calling pro-harvest (ProLine
BBS) on my Apple //e using a 1200 baud modem and Softerm 2 (this is however my
only means).

   You might be a candidate for upgrading to a IIgs. There is rumored a driver
for the HP PaintJet. The GS has graphics near that of Mac II, with only some
loss of resoultion  (but a big loss of cost). The GS runs all the above DTP
packages, and at least 3 more.

ARPA: crash!pro-harvest!crew@nosc.mil
INET: crew@pro-harvest.cts.com    BITNET: crew%pro-harvest.cts.com
UUCP: crash!pro-harvest!crew

"This message is strictly fact or my opinion."

lbotez@pro-sol.cts.com (Lynda Botez) (07/02/90)

>You might be a candidate for upgradign to a IIgs.  There is rumored a driver
>for the HP PaintJet. The GS has graphics near that of Mac II, with only some
>loss of resolution (but a big loss of cost).

Well, here's the latest on the state of the HP printer drivers.  I've seen the
output on the HP Deskjet printer, and I'm very impressed.

The drivers are being written by Bill Heineman (resident Apple II Santa Claus)
for Seven Hills Software, the publishers of Graphicwriter III.  You see, they
want their program to be THE desktop publishing program for the Apple IIGS.
The drivers are almost completed, and are being beta tested now.  This is not
Vaporware, but for real.

After the Deskjet driver is completed, the HP Paintjet driver will be next.
Apparantly, the Deskjet driver will work on the HP Laserwriters too.  Then
some Epson drivers are supposedly in the works.

Bill is creating these drivers to give more capability to the Apple II.
Believe me, he isn't fond of doing printer drivers (he'd rather write games),
but he feels it's a major stumbling block that the Apple IIGS seems to be
limited to the Imagewriter II.  Thank heavens there are people like Bill
around...

Lynda

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (07/02/90)

In article <3373@crash.cts.com> lbotez@pro-sol.cts.com (Lynda Botez) writes:
>Well, here's the latest on the state of the HP printer drivers.  I've seen the
>output on the HP Deskjet printer, and I'm very impressed.
>
>The drivers are being written by Bill Heineman (resident Apple II Santa Claus)
>for Seven Hills Software, the publishers of Graphicwriter III.  You see, they
>want their program to be THE desktop publishing program for the Apple IIGS.

This is extremely good news, especially the Paintjet driver[mentioned in
Lynda's article]. The Laserjet's,DeskWriter, and the PaintjetXL(I think that's
the name) now have Appletalk interfaces available. Do you know if the drivers
are meant to work over a network? The Deskjet has only a serial(and parallel)
interface as does the Paintjet. The DeskWriter uses a subset of the PCL HP
printing language( sorry meant Deskjet+) so any driver should work but it
would most likely demand a direct connection. Hope that's not the case!

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto
[my opinions]
philip@utstat.toronto.edu