[comp.sys.apple2] System Disk question...

RAFAEL@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Rafael Yu) (06/02/90)

   Today, I went to a near by Apple dealer and I found something I didn't
expect.  I was playing with one of the demenstration GS and I notice that it
was runing a little fast than ussual with the operating system.  I knew it could
not be a TWGS because I have one.  Oh well...  I rebot their machine and I
press the space bar to see which version of GSOS they were using.  For my
surprise, they had a GSOS version 3.02 and a most of the other inits and file
were version 3.06 or 3.02.  I tough version 3.0p of GSOS was the most current
one.  Is this a new version or this is really System Disk 5.02?  I have a system
disk with GSOS 3.0p for a couple of months already and I always believe it was
system disk 5.02.  Could anyone clear this?

  Now, changing subjects.  I hear some rumors that AE will introduce a Heavy
Duty Power Supply for the GS.  Has anyone heard anything about this?  Also, have
anyone in the Net try the new AE 3.5" drives.  any comment?

                 Rafael Yu....
          Internet:    RAFAEL@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu
          America Online:   Veraguas

rbannon@mira.acs.calpoly.edu (Roy Bannon) (06/02/90)

[deleted stuff about new versions of gs/os]

when I got the new dma scsi card, it came with a new version of gs/os.
This version is numbered 3.02.  This may have been what you saw at the
dealer.  It doesn't include any other tool changes.  Just a new scsi
manager, various drivers and a new gs/os. Well, thats my two cents worth.

Roy
rbannon@cosmos.acs.calpoly.edu

RAFAEL@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Rafael Yu) (06/02/90)

  Roy, by any chance did you get any tool with a version 3.06.  Do you know
what is the difference on this new GSOS version and the old one V3.0p?
Anything new that is worth to get...

      Rafael

          Internet:    RAFAEL@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu
          America Online:   Veraguas
       Internet:   RAFA

In article <12594481533009@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu> RAFAEL@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Rafael Yu) writes:

>  Roy, by any chance did you get any tool with a version 3.06.  Do you know
>what is the difference on this new GSOS version and the old one V3.0p?
>Anything new that is worth to get...
>
>      Rafael

The only thing you get is gs/os (i think you also get start.gsos also), a new
manager, new drivers and a new backup program that handles resource files.  I
don't know for sure whats different in the new gs/os.  Probably just the stuff
to make it compatible with the dma card.  I hope the scsi manager and/or driver
no longer has the bug where if you write from three consequtive banks at once
it gets confused (or something like that).  I don't have the developer release
notes about this yet, so I can't say for sure whats different.  Maybe someone
at apple can comment.

Roy

bmarlowe@BONNIE.ICS.UCI.EDU (Brett Marlowe) (07/02/90)

	What's the definitive method for determining what version of
the system disk do I have? Is it the About the System dialog box in
the finder? In particular how do I tell if I have system disk 5.0 or
system disk 5.0.2?

-Brett