[comp.sys.apple2] Building GSOS 5.0.2.masters

joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) (07/01/90)

As my previous note stated, I am trying to build the two disk master
set of System 5.02 disks from the four disks distributed by Claris
with the 1.1 upgrade of AppleWorks GS.

I have just finished trying to put the disks together, and in addition
to the scripts being different, I was unable to find a file called
FINDER.DEF that GS/OS Technote 1 says is required on the System.Disk
for the installer program to work properly.

The technotes say that this file contains a list of default finder
settings.  If someone could forward this file to me I would appreciate
it greatly.

Thanks again,
Seymour

wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (07/03/90)

In article <Jun.30.17.13.05.1990.27137@elbereth.rutgers.edu> joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) writes:

> As my previous note stated, I am trying to build the two disk master
> set of System 5.02 disks from the four disks distributed by Claris
> with the 1.1 upgrade of AppleWorks GS.

> I have just finished trying to put the disks together, and in addition
> to the scripts being different, I was unable to find a file called
> FINDER.DEF that GS/OS Technote 1 says is required on the System.Disk
> for the installer program to work properly.

> The technotes say that this file contains a list of default finder
> settings.  If someone could forward this file to me I would appreciate
> it greatly.

Finder.Def contains miscellaneous Finder settings like "Hide invisibles", etc.
I'm not entirely sure why the file isn't on the AWGS system disk... most likely
because it wasn't essential and the Finder will create it if needed.  To
create it, boot a floppy to the finder, select preferences, make sure that
"Save Preferences to disk" is checked, select OK, then eject the disk (using
the Eject menu item).  If the disk is writable, then a Finder.Def should be
written out.  Note that this is an invisible file, so you won't actually see
it in the Finder unless you set the option to do so.

Note that Finder.Def is required by the Installer *only* for installation
scripts that actually specify that particular file.

Also note that all scripts on the AWGS disks are set up for the 4 disk
configuration that AWGS ships in (i.e., if you try to use the scripts on the
AWGS disks with the standard System 5.0.2 configuration, some files will be
in the wrong places and won't be found).

Why all the mess (you may ask)?  Claris wanted to ship a larger set of fonts
than what is *now* standard for Apple (older systems had more fonts).  Since
the system had grown on disk, we had to juggle things around to get everything
we wanted to fit.

--
Scott Lindsey     | I dig iguana in their outer space duds
Claris Corp.      |    saying, "Aren't you glad we only eat bugs?"