[comp.sys.apple2] Still having REZ problems...

bmarlowe@BONNIE.ICS.UCI.EDU (Brett Marlowe) (07/02/90)

	Thanks to all the people who replied to my previous posting, I
received a number of recommendations. However none have worked yet...
To summarize; I am trying to build menu resources using the REZ
resource compiler but I keep getting errors on the same
lines--different errors depending on whatever blind stab I made trying
to figure this out but always an error nonetheless. OK, I give up,
I've tried every combination of single quotes, double quotes, no
quotes, and literal numbers and I give up, I've read through the
REZIIGS manuals and this is what I keep coming up with:

resource rMenuItem(AboutItemID) {
    AboutItemID,
    '',		<-- Error: expected string but got number (0)
    '',
    0,
    ItemTitleIsResource + rMIDivider,
    AboutItemID;
};

	What's wrong with this?

Thanks,
Brett

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (07/03/90)

In article <9007011636.aa15929@ICS.UCI.EDU> bmarlowe@BONNIE.ICS.UCI.EDU (Brett Marlowe) writes:

>resource rMenuItem(AboutItemID) {
>    AboutItemID,
>    '',		<-- Error: expected string but got number (0)
>    '',
>    0,
>    ItemTitleIsResource + rMIDivider,
>    AboutItemID;
>};
>

>	What's wrong with this?
>
>Thanks,
>Brett

I don't seem to have final versions of everything here at home, but
the following rezzes just fine for me under RezIIgs 1.0b5.  The only
things I changed from yours (other than the #include and the #define,
which you didn't show) are (1) changed '' to "" twice and (2) changed
ItemTitleIsResource to RefIsResource, since my TypesIIgs.r doesn't
define an ItemTitleIsResource.

----------
#include "typesiigs.r"

#define AboutItemID 1

resource rMenuItem(AboutItemID) {
    AboutItemID,
    "",
    "",
    0,
    RefIsResource + rMIDivider,
    AboutItemID;
};
----------

Here's the definition of an rMenuItem from my typesiigs.r.  If you still
haven't got it to work, send me *your* definition of rMenuItem from your
Types.Rez file.  (I'm using MPW IIgs, and I assume you're using APW, but
REZ and RezIIgs are extremely compatible.)
--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II Developer Technical Support      |   P.O. Box 875

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

In article <42598@apple.Apple.COM> dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) writes:
>Here's the definition of an rMenuItem from my typesiigs.r.

Brilliant!  I forgot to include it.

type rMenuItem {
        integer = 0;                /* version must be zero */
        integer;                    /* item ID */
        char;                       /* item char */
        char;                       /* alt char */
        integer;                    /* item check */
        integer;                    /* flags */
        longint;                    /* item titleref */
};