[comp.sys.apple2] Running Apple// software from a Mac

bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) (06/30/90)

I've heard a lot of talk about Apple giving the Mac the ability
to run Apple // software. This really has me excited. I've long
dreamed of being able to use a $2000-$3000 dollar box with a 9 inch
black and white screen to do the job of my $800.00 computer with its
14 inch color screen.

*   bob church  bchurch@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu                       *
*  If economics isn't an "exact" science why do computers crash    *
*  so much more often than the stock market?                       *
*                                          bc                      *

wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (07/03/90)

In article <1495@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU> bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) writes:

> I've heard a lot of talk about Apple giving the Mac the ability
> to run Apple // software. This really has me excited. I've long
> dreamed of being able to use a $2000-$3000 dollar box with a 9 inch
> black and white screen to do the job of my $800.00 computer with its
> 14 inch color screen.

Sarcasm does not become you.  If you're going to pander to rumors (as I am by
writing this), at least keep up with the rumors.  Not all Macs have 9" B&W
screens, and not all Macs cost $2000-3000.  There's been plenty of talk about
High Volume (i.e., low-cost) Color Macs.

--
Scott Lindsey     | I dig iguana in their outer space duds
Claris Corp.      |    saying, "Aren't you glad we only eat bugs?"

bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) (07/03/90)

In article <WOMBAT.90Jul2144929@claris.com>, wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) writes:
> In article <1495@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU> bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) writes:
>
> > I've heard a lot of talk about Apple giving the Mac the ability
> > to run Apple // software. This really has me excited. I've long
> > dreamed of being able to use a $2000-$3000 dollar box with a 9 inch
> > black and white screen to do the job of my $800.00 computer with its
> > 14 inch color screen.
>
> Sarcasm does not become you.  If you're going to pander to rumors (as I am by
> writing this), at least keep up with the rumors.  Not all Macs have 9" B&W
> screens, and not all Macs cost $2000-3000.

Very true, a color mac will set you back considerably more. So how does that
refute my statement? According to my local dealer the Mac+ is being phased out
and my lowest cost option for a Mac is an SE. Even with the University discount
an SE with a hard drive (not really an option) is over $2000. Where do you do
your shopping?

> There's been plenty of talk about
> High Volume (i.e., low-cost) Color Macs.

Yes, lots and lots of talk. I work at a University and am minoring in
computer science. The running joke around campus is that Apple is the
"gonna have" company. They seem to answer every challenge with the new
OS, machine or card that they are "gonna have".
My whole point is that I don't need a Mac to run Apple // software. I
have an Apple // that does a wonderful job of it. I've put up with sarcasm
from Mac and IBM users since buying my // over four years ago. I just
write it off to ignorance. It's a little harder to categorize Apple's
disdain for the machine though. In my opinion educators would be wise
to invest in existing Apple // technology which will get the job done. I'm
afraid that if they wait around forever for non-existent end all technology
that they'll finally give up and turn to something else altogether.